Eiffel Tower - Iconic Daytime and Nightime Shot Locations

david_huff1

<p>I am returning to Paris again soon and I want to do a better job of photographing the Eiffel Tower than before. I am looking for advice on where to position around the tower for taking those iconic shots (both day and night) - any recommendations? (I have a full range of lenses (wide, long and tilt to work with). Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Hmmm, I am guessing your question is premised upon some view that because the tower has been so commonly photographed, there is no photographic merit to do so further. But, if that is the case, your question begs a further question, why have some many photographed the tower in the first place? For me, I am looking forward to photographing the tower for two reasons. <br>

First, I marvel at the accomplishment the tower represents. At its time, it was the tallest structure in the world. It was constructed using amazingly advanced techniques, including for safety. Further, its engineering, especially with regard to structural wind resistance and lift technology, was truly leading edge. I appreciate the human accomplishment that the tower represents and I am inspired by its stand against time.<br>

Second, I am invested in pushing myself to become a better photographer. I have photographed the tower earlier in my progress, and I am looking forward to returning to the same subject to test my evolution. I am challenged to make a photograph that captures the spirit of what I described above. <br>

So, in sum, I do not adhere to a view that just because millions have photographed an object, it is no longer worthy of further pursuit in this art. Thanks for the question.</p>

<p>Hi David, sorry if my question sounded a little curt, it wasn't meant like that. However the hardest thing with photography, I think ,has little to do with technique and is more about what one chooses to photograph. Otherwise it all seems so routine and mechanical like a kind of exercise. And to what end?<br>

I guess yes I was wondering why someone would want photograph ( seriously - not just a snap which I would quite understand ) something that already exists in millions of images,I imagine for all the same reasons you've given, rather than something thats does not. Is there something new that you can bring to the table?</p>

<p>One of the large stores, Samaritaine (if it's still open) had a rooftop cafe with excellent views over most of Paris. The Champ du Mars is a large open space in front of the Ecole Militaire that should give good views of the tower, although it is very big from that close. If you go across the river (Avenue de New York or Voie George Pompidou) you can get a nice view from there too and reflections in the river at night may be nice.<br>

If you have time, have a look at something like the world map on Flickr to see where people have taken what photo. I've also used Google street view in planning some shots, you might find that a useful tool.<br>

<a href="http://goo.gl/maps/TrPt">http://goo.gl/maps/TrPt</a></p>

<p>Here are a couple of shots that I got. It was my first time in Paris and I had a lot on my agenda to see and do. When I return some day, I plan on spending more time exploring to find specific spots to shoot photos from.<br /> <a href=" the top of Notre-Dame</a><br /> <a href=" La dame de fer the base of the tower</a></p>

<p>Spent two weeks in Paris this April. Our apartment was two blocks from the Champ de Mars. I wanted to photograph the Eiffel Tower early, late and often. My favorite angles were from the small ponds on either side of the tower. Get out early as the tower opens at 9 and the crowds don't start building until 8. You will find many if the images in this set <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tpurvis/sets/72157626541660664/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/tpurvis/sets/72157626541660664/</a> </p>

<p>David - you have the power of space and time on your favor. Where the tower has been photographed many times over, it changes and the surroundings change. My second visit to Paris provide me with a huge white rugby ball hanging from the center of the tower. This last trip I was lucky enough to stumble across a stand of trees that had been trimmed to almost nothing. <a href=" IMG_2577 By the end of the trip, these trees had started to grow out and were no longer as striking. do your thing and enjoy it with the realization that your photos of the tower WILL be unique. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Thanks everyone for the tips. I took photos from Montemarte and the Alexander Bridge that I am very happy with, but this one was special to me. I am lucky to have a few ladies in my life that can actually make the moon shine, and here is a picture of one of them.</p><div>00Z0Ly-377299584.jpg.e943a72ed1dcf72854ee47281fcef213.jpg</div>