Is this a good deal? 645AFD

snommisbor

<p>The "d" version may have tweaked AF algorithms also.<br>

I cant verify this 100% but each version is said to have slightly faster AF.<br>

Price varies depending on the source and if you get any warranty.</p>

<p>799.00usd would be decent from a store with warranty but the AFD kit can be had cheaper if you're willing to go the auction route.</p>

<p>"Thanks, I am wanting the AFD version so it gives me the option of adding a digital back someday."</p>

<p>Given that things are changing so rapidly with digital technology, I'd examine how far away that "someday" might be. Because if you only see yourself shooting film for the foreseeable future then weigh how much digital compatibility is really worth to you. You can get perfectly good MF system cameras for far less than $600 and what you save now could go on film or an extra lens or whatever.</p>

<p>The continuing promise of future cheap MF digital backs has never materialised and is unlikely to ever do so. Or if it does it'll be because some far better technology has replaced it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The continuing promise of future cheap MF digital backs has never materialised and is unlikely to ever do so. Or if it does it'll be because some far better technology has replaced it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Rodeo, that's only true if you restrict yourself to buying new digital backs. But old used backs are increasingly affordable, and they are also moving up the specifications ladder as each generation of new backs displaces the previous ones. I've had a used digital back for over a year - something I once thought I would never afford (or rather, never get the imprimatur of the domestic financial controller!) - and I'm very happy with it.</p>

<p>Also, I'm not sure that manufacturers ever made a "promise of future cheap MF digital backs". It's more the case that we all <em>wished</em> for them. And we reasonably expected them to materialise, given the huge strides being made in 35mm-format digital.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wanting to get into MF and was at my camera store yesterday and they had a Mamiya 645 AF-D with the 80mm lens and a 120 filmback for 799.00. Is this a good deal to jump on or should I shop around more?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Rob, $799 seems a little bit on the high side to me, unless the condition is close to mint and the warranty is good. But OTOH I get the impression from KEH that used prices for many Mamiya 645 items (both MF and AF) have risen substantially in the past year.</p>

<p> </p>