worried about condensation in the caribbean

van_johnson1

<p>Getting ready for a trip to the caribbean in a week and I was thinking about taking the 7D along with just one lens 17-55 (orginally I had a 16-35 but I just didn't like how it was working for me). My concern is going from my air conditioned room to the humid outdoors and the camera condensating. Is this a problem or not and if so how do you handle? TX's</p>

<p>Try to put some silica packs in with your equipment to absorb excess moisture. Also, put the camera in a sealed zip lock bag while in the cool, dry room. You may get condensation on the OUTSIDE of the bag, but the inside will stay dry. Then let it come to temperature outside while sealed and you can safely open the bag and shoot.<br>

When going back inside, do not seal the camera as that will trap the moist air and surely cause condensation.</p>

I live in hot and humid Hawaii and use a 7D nearly daily without condensation problems. I keep it the bag prior and

after the shoot and no condensation. The problem rears it's ugly head only if you carry a nekid camera directly from

AC to outdoors. The bag insolates and prevents rapid temp change, thus no condensation.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>humidity and condensation is a problem in the Caribbean islands. I agree with the others, put the camera in a bag with silica gel and then let it adjust to ambient temperature when taking it outside - takes about 1/2 hour!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I Live in NJ and condensation can be a problem during the hot and humid summers as well when going from an air conditioned building or car to 90+heat and vice versa. As PuppyFace suggests, keep Camera and lenses in the bag. I also keep packets of "Do Not Eat" (silica gel) in the camera bag, 1 small per lens/body compartment as insurance. (Would imagine not nearly as bad as southern /tropical climes though).</p>

<p>FWIW: Unless you will be staying there for months, don't worry. Just let the camera acclimate for 5-10 minutes after going outside from AC, and the condensation (if any at all) will go away by itself. Throw in a <strong>fresh </strong>silica pocket in your bag if you must (and take a plastic bag to protect your cameras from rain and splashes) but the most important thing in "adverse"climates is to use your equipment outside, in the sun, often. OTOH storing it in dark, humit places is not good. I not only live in humid conditions (summers in Washington, D.C., anyone?) but also shoot very often in the tropics (Caribe, Central America) dragging along cases upon cases of equipment, so I'd be using a shitload of silica pockets if the humidity tales were true. <br>

The above is valid for a few weeks long visit to the tropics: different rules apply to prolonged stays and to actual shooting in permanently condensing high humidity environment (which you are unlikely to encounter.)</p>

I live in the Caribbean and take no precautions at all, never needed to. I think it is one of those scenarios where it is

often talked about, and theorised upon, by those who don't do it, on the other hand those that do do it don't even think

about it.

Van, just get out there and have fun.

<p>We leave for Panama tomorrow and I was recently trying to find out what to expect concerning photographic opportunities of the areas we're visiting. I came across this article from Arthur Morris' website that you may find of interest. After reading it I did invest in zip-lock bags and packets for each body and strobe as well as one for my laptop. Scroll down to Panama trip/Zorb-it...<br>

<a href="http://www.birdsasart.com/bn297.htm">http://www.birdsasart.com/bn297.htm</a><br>

Bill</p>