What's the best starter portable lighting equipment?

<p>We are looking to start out barebones (preferably used equipment) for a portable portrait lighting setup. What are the best brands/kits/stands/etc items and brands to start with? I am completely clueless in this arena and assisting the photographer in finding these items. He will know the technical information if you write that in here (or I can google it :) , so technical information is fine as well!</p>

<p>Traditional portrait lighting means four lights -- main, fill, hair and background. Each requires a light stand and depending on style, several require a light modifier, like a softbox or umbrella. When you're shopping used, your options are limited to what's available so your concerns are what options to consider.</p>

<p>Most strobe systems are either pack-n-head or monolights. The benefit of the former is power and the ability to use multiple heads with one pack unit. The benefit of monolights is that each fixture is a self-contained pack-n-head in one.</p>

<p>If you buy into a pack-n-head system it's like buying into Nikon or Canon -- you've committed to a brand. With monolights you can mix brands without worry.</p>

<p>Either way, your shopping priorities should include the max power output per source you need. You can get away with one 400ws pack-n-head kit if you're shooting individual head-n-shoulders portraits, but if you plan to do more elaborate setups and larger groups, you'll want more.</p>

<p>I don't mean to sound smug but telling you so you can tell the photog is a little akin to the kid's game of telephone. Why not get him involved directly?</p>

<p>Having said that, I like Manfrotto (Bogen) stands, althoug Impact is a pretty good less expensive alternate. I like Chimera soft boxes but I have to say Westcott's Halo and Apollo models are appealing because they set up like umbrellas and do not require speed rings. I only use Photogenic's "Eclipse" umbrellas.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Rose- If you do end up purchasing a Vagabond, be very careful, mine was plugged in for no more than ten minutes charging and then it overheated, the plastic on it melted and it began to smoke. I have now heard that they can be unreliable. Just some friendly advice so you don't have to go over the nightmare that I endured.</p>

<p>Equipment depends on what type of portraits you want to do and where you are doing them.</p>

<p>Easiest to start with and very portable would be two or three simple manual speedlights, a set of radio triggers, two stands, umbrella adapter, one or two umbrellas and a collapsible reflector or two.</p>

<p> </p>