MONOPOD CHOICE

david_achille

<p>Hi,<br>

I am in the process of purchasing a monopod for my D300 + the following lenses (Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 17-50 as well as a Tamron 70-300).<br>

I have the choice of either the Vanguard Tracker AP364(Aluminium with max height of 176cm) or the Velbon Geo Pod 64(Carbon with max height of 167cm).<br>

I am 1.81m tall and either of the above will suit me but I still have to decide on the Carbon or Aluminium option as the Vanguard monopod is cheaper and well built.<br>

I would be grateful if you could help me in deciding.<br>

Thanks<br>

David<br>

Beau Bassin,Mauritius</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is a real value to tall monopods and tripods. If you are standing on a hill, and your monopod is downhill from you, it needs to be taller than if you are on on level ground. It's not an uncommon scenario. To me, that makes the 167cm Velbon too short for someone 181 cm tall.</p>

<p>Carbon fiber can be very important with tripods, because one can save a substantial amount of weight in comparison to aluminum. With monopods, the weight savings is less, which makes it less important.</p>

<p>The other thing to consider is the type of leg locks. If I'm not mistaken, one of those monopods uses twist locks, the other flip locks. There are more monopods than those two choices. Make sure you get a type of leg lock you are comfortable using.</p>

<p>I did quite a bit of research before deciding on which monopod suited me the best. The firstThing to consider would be the height, both extended and compressed. I would say I use mine in the compressed mode far more often than full extended because of the nature of my work with it, which is primarily birds/ wildlife. <br>

Another consideration is material, but not necessarily for weight -if you shoot in cold weather, a CF will be easier on your hands (even with gloves) than an aluminum one. (I get around this by insulating the top extension with a padded Tennis raquet grip).</p>

<p>Locks are another-(as mentioned)-The monopod I purchased (Monostat) has something that the manufacturer calls anti-rotation tubing, which makes for a more positive hold with twist locks, and prevents one section of tubing from slipping loose while working the lock on the one below it.<br>

Another deciding factor for me was the foot. Since I tend to shoot action, I am usually tracking a subject and for this, the ballfoot was the choice (as opposed to a ballhead mount for a solid style foot. I am very pleased with the ballfoot design as it is very stable yet allows me plenty of mobility, and is sealed against mud and muck.<br>

I would also recommend an arca style release plate if you opt to put a small head on it.</p>

<p>Thanks Randall for your tips.<br>

I have heard of the very good quality Arca release plates, but they are way too expensive for me but I was looking at associating the Vanguard SBH100 (which includes a rather clever release mechanism and come with 2 plates) with the Tracker AP364.</p>

<p>These days I also shoot a lot of wildlife, especially birds, and have found that I need a longer tripod than I currently own. At 5'6" (1.67m) and working so frequently on hills (as Hector mentions) and with subjects that are above me (birds, monkeys), I should be using one that is at least 6' (1.83m) rather one that is a few inches shorter than I am. My boyfriend, who is 6'2" (1.88m), has decided that even he needs a longer one, as well; I don't recall the size of his current model. </p>

<p>I have a carbon and and an aluminum model. I personally would go for carbon fiber, no question as the carry weight differential adds up on a toting walk or trek. By the time you get done adding some kind of head ( a whole separate topic with all kinds of opinions and differences of opinion there...), and the height of the camera itself, sounds like both would do the trick. Also consider flopping camera to portrait mode and where that places your eyeball.... Also determine the collapsed size, number of sections relates to latter, as some just fit, albeit snugly, crosswise in a suitcase, an important factor to some of us. Like me. I do like my old Carbon One by Manfrotto. Tall enough for me anyway but I am a squirt:-)</p>