Polarizing filters, when to use?

jeff_harper3

<p>I have roatating polarizing filters for all of my lenses, but I don't know when to use them.<br>

I often shoot my subjects (models, bridal parties) in the sun, then we may move to the shade, then I may shoot them walking in the sun. Then we often end up in front of a lake or water fall.<br>

Is is best to forget filters when moving around like this? Do I need filters for shaded spots, or when shooting portraits? Or if my filters are already on, can I leave them on for when we move to shade? </p>

<p>2nd question: Are there dramatic differences between filters? All of mine are of varying prices and brands, and unless I"m crazy the effects of my various filters seem radically different from filter to filter.</p>

<p>All in all, my primary concern is getting portraits right, and great skin tones, etc, though I'd like to have blue skies, of course. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Jeff Harper</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The primary reason to use a polarizing filter is to cut glare and reflections from the sun, which should improve saturation. You would usually only want to use them in bright sun or you are losing some light.<br>

Most circular ones turn gradually increasing the effect from "low" to full.<br>

Read the instructions for each one and/or experiment to see what effects you like.<br>

Here is a tutorial which explains it all..........<br>

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_to_use_polarizing_filters/reduce_haze_deep_blue_sky.shtml</p>

<p>Mark, great tutorial, thanks for your explanation and for the link. I've been using them when I didn't need them, and it likely has been the cause of some unpleasant surprises in portraits I've shot in the shade.</p>

<p>All the best, Jeff Harper</p>

<p>Polaraizers are great at improving saturation of the sky in photos, reducing haze, and also reducing or eliminating reflections from water, glass, and other surfaces.</p>

<p>Unlike most other filters, after mounting the polarizer on the lens, you then rotate the front ring of the polarizer. Doing this changes the angle of the polarizing material (think of an extremely fine venetian blind), and changes the effect the filter has on your image. Depending on what is in the shot, you'll see the skies get bluer and clouds will become more distinct, or you will find unwanted reflections eliminated from glass surfaces (eyeglasses, windows, etc.), or water surfaces, etc. </p>

<p>Just take a filter outside and hold it up to your eye (lens mount side towards you...) and look around while rotating the filter with your hand. You'll easily start to see the effects this filter can provide.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Sorry- no links, tutorials etc, but</p>

<p>As with any "effects" filter, it should be used when and only when you like what it does to your picture through the lens. It should not IMO be on your lens all the time or even by default. It should be used after you've checked by rotating the filter either in hand or on the lens to see what effects are possible in your circumstances at varying degrees of polarisation. Key to this is the ability to see, pretty objectively, whats in your finder/on your screen/on your histogram. The ability to see when a pleasantly saturated sky becomes just too dark, or almost black, is an obvious example. The ability to notice the price you're paying elsewhere in the picture for getting the glare off that water /those leaves is another. </p>