3.5 Industar 50mm collapsible lens. I picked up this camera for 20

bucks in Moscow this summer. Bought it as a decoration, then decided

to take it for a walk to see if it would stun me with super crisp

images. Surpize, they are all fuzzy. Looks like the focus is way

off. The camera went back to its decorative duties. Here are a

couple of fuzzy picks I'dlike to share with the world just for the

heck of it.

Igor,

Regardless of Mr. Bender's mean-spirited remarks, I think that the lens produced an OK picture of the single leaf, except for the focus. We welcome your input, no matter how much of neophyte you are. The ability to post a picture isn't an indication of your competence as a photographer, and neither is one image.

Try this: Set the camera on a tripod and focus on one object at say 2 meters or 10 feet, depending on what distance scale is on the lens. Compare the actual distance to the object with what it reads on the lens. If those two are equal and the picture is still in poor focus, then the lens is bad. If the measured distance and the lens distance read-out are different, then the RF is out of whack.

Skip

I agree with bill about the photos.. Mr Bender should perhaps keeps his infantile comments to himself.

Igor you may want to try to focus on a far away object such as cloud to see if the camera will focus at infinity. this solved my problem with my Fed 5B and Jupiter 8. FWIW the Jupiter 8 really is a great bargain. I have prints from it that are every bit as good as my Nikon 50 1.8.

If your infinity focus is off its very easy to re-align

Ben, Skip, Bill, Samuel,

Gentlemen, thanks for your comments. As for Mr. Bender's remakrs: the tone of his comments is common for a Russian with a hangover (I am Russian myself so it is not my first, or my last encounter with his type). I am not a neophyte in photography either - this is all I do for a living, however, rangefinders are my most recent passion. As far as posting messages: I have switshed to Photoshop 7 from 6 a month ago. I noticed that it does not convert files to jpeg if asked to do so, it compresses them but keeps the .tif extention. So I used the Save for Web feature the second time, and it worked.

Now, you gave me an idea: is it possible to adjust the rangefinder DIY? If so your advice or references will be greatly appreciated. This Zorky is a neat camera, and I would like to use it more photographically, rather than as a paperweight, but would rather not spend any money to have it overhauled. Cheers, Igor

Igor,

FWIW, there is a Russian camera group on www.beststuff.com/forums.

You can learn a good bit about these cameras from them.

If your only problem is the range finder, adjustment is quite easy.

Remove the screw on the silver part of the camera, front side,

above and a bit to the left of the center of the lens. Underneath,

you will find a small screw which adjusts the range finder. Set

the lens to infinity and point the camera at a distant object, the moon works well for me. Turn the adjustment screw until the two images in the range finder converge. As a sanity check, focus the camera on an object 2 meters away and check that the pointer on the lens scale is at 2 meters. If you can't get the range finder and the lens scale to agree at both 2 meters and infinity, you will have to adjust the little foot which rides up against the cam on the lens. Folks on the Russian cameras list can help you with that.

Igor:

Photos are fuzzy but as you found out, it could be a matter with the camera...

Anyway, in your second photo, there are 4 very thin black horizontal lines - not sure whether those are very thin wires (which would be in sharp focus!!) or more likely scratch marks coming from your camera. So if you are taking your camera apart please take a look.

At least the shutter speed of your camera is reasonable!

Johnson

Ladies and Gentlemen,

(Well, "ladies" was wishful thinking) I went throught the roll of film I shot that morning once again and discovered that my focus was not as bad as I initially thought. Obviously I was too hard criticizing the camera. While I have not had a chance to check the accuracy of the rangefinder, it seems that lens itself is on the soft side, but not bad for its 48 years. The focus seems to be a bit behind the object. I made 6x9 inkjet prints, and they show it. But a bit of unsharp mask improves the overall impression. I will check the alignment of the rangefinder this weekend, following your advice. Other than that it is a very pleasant camera, and a useable toy at the same time.

Thanks a lot for all your advice and comments. Here are two more scans from that film. While not super contrasty, they are not much worse than those that come out of my Kodak dcs 620 camera. Thanks for your very helpful advice and comments.

Cheers.<div>0044f2-10290684.jpg.9f211bc906b8cdf8a3cb547627b8f662.jpg</div>

Igor:

What did you do to the last picture? It shows a marked improvement over the first. Did you do anything to the camera?

These cameras are relatively easy to adjust, and there are many adjustments that may need to be done. There are 2 rangefinder calibration adjustments and one back-focus/lens register depth adjustment.

As long as your shutter and rangefinder don't have any serious defects, you have the beginnings of a pretty good camera.

-Paul

Over the last few months I bought 8 rangefinders (with 10 lenses; I keep and use all of them), and so checking the rangefinder adjustment is a kind of routing test one is supposed to do upon getting the camera/lens.

What I usually do is photograph a ruler with a plastic thingy from a bread bad to the middle of it. In a room with semi-closed blinds - to be able to use the widest aperture at 1/125 or so - I carefully focus on the plastic bit. One immediately sees the rangefinder misalignment.

The second test - photographing something at infinity.

Third test - after making sure I can focus properly - is photographing a double newspaper page at several apertures starting from the widest. Shows how contrast and resolution improves with aperture and whether it is sufficient on the first place.

No one needs to teach such techniques - it's really common sense. My offhanded dismissal of the poster's whine is for the reason that he did not even think of photographing a ruler before hanging God knows how obtained bad quality images, expecting us to blame the lens or the camera - but not himself for unwillingness to think for a moment.