I need some advise, anybody who have done this type of request before

val pereira

<p>Bride request: <br>

Hi my name is Tammy and I'm getting married September 24. I was wondering about your wedding packages. I was looking for something about 8hrs, 3 locations, n all pictures on a disk. Please let me knw, n thanks<br /> <br /> P/S - I have packages were I offer the print and albums, but never only the pictures on CD.<br>

Thank You!<br>

Val Messer</p>

<p>I'm booked Sep 24th, thanks for asking though!</p>

<p>Seriously though, I'd take the equivelant package (your 8hr or rough equiv) subtract from your stated total the cost of prints/album (materials cost that is) and add to the total the 'average' amount you make off of addtnl sales (extra prints, MIL album, etc.). That's what I did for a 'DVD/R only' package. It's remained the most popular choice since.</p>

I hate giving out DVD's and nothing else. If you wish to give away your copyrights then charge aroud $3000 for your talent.

We still do very well with reorders, often more than the cost of the wedding photo's. I've talked about this in the past, about having a pro lab bringing out your best work. My lab gives me a DVD, high quality, for the final DVD. If the people take the DVD to wallgreens, Kmart, well they probably won't refer you, because the quality isn't checked. It's simply rung through a printing machine and who know how long the chemicals have been used. They don't color correct.

You can sell them regarding this, poor quality. After 2 years offer the client to buy the DVD for some sort of set price.

<p>If you are worried about losing print sale profits you can price the DVD to cover that. Selling a dvd of images is not the same as giving away a dvd of images. It is also not the same as giving away your copyright to the images. You can grant the couple 'personal usage rights' by granting them a limited use license. With the limited use license you give them permission to do as much or as little as you would like with the images.<br>

I include an information sheet regarding printing at professional labs and the quality difference then provide a few urls for good online labs.</p>

<p>Really only you can decide if you want to take this job. If you don't usually give images on a disk and you are not comfortable doing so then don't do it.<br>

If you do the job be sure to charge enough to cover how much time you will have to put into post processing all the images you would supply on the CD/DVD.</p>

<p>My first step would be to find out what she means by 'all pictures.' There are some brides that will want everything you've shot dumped on to a disc. This is something I don't do. I do include a disc of my edited images with my mid-range package, which also includes an album. As I tell my clients, I strongly believe they should have a physical record of their wedding day. So far, all of my clients have responded very positively to that, and they love getting the album. <br>

I don't make a whole lot off print sales, but I have spent considerable time and effort building a luxury brand, so I want my clients to have a luxury product, not a cheesy album from snapfish or something. I also include a list of high quality labs with every disc I send out.</p>

<p>The biggest drawback to you as a business person is that the couple will most likely never make and album themselves and perhaps very few prints, so they will never show off your work and you won't see any referrals. Otherwise Marcus has good advice.</p>