leica m4

<p>Apologies if this is not the sort of post one should put. I was in Arundel Photographica this afternoon (UK camera shop, run by a gentleman amongst gentlemen). The said gentleman has an immaculate M4 for sale which has been fitted with M3 style levers, etc. It is indeed a thing of beauty. I know they don't have much of a web site so thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. I have no connection with the shop other than having been a very happy customer there over the years.</p>

<p>The "M3 style levers, etc." on an M4 is interesting enough. Would like to know what the etc. is. Since you seem to be in the position to learn more about this camera, why don't you get more information as post it here?</p>

<p>Dear Alex, I wasn't sure if such mails were really deemed to be good etiquette here so didn't say too much. The camera seemed in pretty much mint condition to me, much nicer than my M4 and looked very nice indeed with the m3 parts. The rangefinder seemed clear and the wind on and shutter seemed beautifully smooth. That is really all I know. There is a website for Aundel Photographica if you do a quick search. The chap who runs the place is called Chris and he used to be the UK manager for Rollei I believe?? That really is all I know - I would suggest you drop him an e-mail if you are interested. </p>

<p>Dear David: Be assured that your post was perfectly proper and appreciated. News of rare or one-off Leicas is very important to this forum. You performed a valuable service. I must confess that I never yet have heard of an M4 with M3 parts. I wonder if it has an M3 finder and if it accepts M2 style winders, like the old Leicavit. Thank you for posting.</p>

<p>Alex, it seems unlikely that anyone would replace the finder of a later M with that of an M3. I even wonder if that is possible.</p>

<p>Replacing small levers is a simple cosmetic procedure and cannot be said to result in "rare or one-off Leicas".</p>

<p>I had one of my Leica M4 bodies fitted with M3 levers by Sherry Krauter as she was performing a CLA on the camera about two years ago. I decided not to change the film advance lever though because I like the function of the hinged plastic end piece. Youxin Ye offered to do the conversion for $20 in 2009 if I supplied the parts, but I decided to go with Sherry as she had all the parts necessary:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Bob,<br>

This is possible. You need to ask either Leica Parts (<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.leica.com/" target="_blank">www.leica.com</a>) or DAG (<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.dagcamera.com/" target="_blank">www.dagcamera.com</a>) to get the quotes for all parts. You will need:<br>

M3 SS lever;<br>

M3 ST lever;<br>

M3 ST screw;<br>

M3 Rewind lever;<br>

M3 PV lever;<br>

M3 PV lever screw.<br>

The screws for PV & ST on M3 are smaller than M4, so you will need to buy new ones. You may need to buy the screws from DAG instead of Leica since Leica may give you screws with no holes, not the same as original.<br>

I don't know the cost of those parts today. You will find out easily. You may ask Leica or DAG send me those parts. It will be $20 plus shipping cost for the conversion. .........."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leica_M4_with_curved_lever.jpg">This is not my camera but is the example that inspired me to make the conversion.</a></p>