7A, PRO-7B, COMPACT PLUS (600Ws), COMPACT PLUS PLUS (1200Ws)...if

they ever decide to release it! The PRO ACUTE 24 seems to have to

slow of a flash duration for some fashion work with medium/large

format cameras and recycling time is'nt as good as COMPACTS or the

awesome and expensive PRO-7A. I would also be thankful for any feed

back on the build quality/reliability and the light quality. Thankyou

for your time.

David,

I am in the same boat you are, you might want to look at the dynalite 400jr and jackrabbit system as well. I am still looking around but perhaps you missed that option.

Please do post anything you find out about specifically for on location fashion, which we both seem to share an interest.

al

I've used Profoto packs for the past 5 years. They are build extremely well, and under heavy commercial use have shown very little wear and tear cosmetically. The physical interfaces and mechanical reliability have been 100% reliable. Their equipment is not cheap, but it will outlast any carrier [or until you get the bug to upgrade!]. I have my eye on the "B", right now I haul a 75lbs. gas generator around, and it's a big drag! The BEST thing about Profoto from a 'running a business' point of view is, ALL of the accessories are interchangeable. I have several packs, and a dozen heads, some Acutes, some older Pro3 generators and heads, but all of the reflectors, beauty dishes, etc. fit any/all heads [except for the REALLY old stuff]. It's the most logical, well made, compact, and reliable shot-to-shot output equipment I have ever used [which is based on my first hand use of Speedo's, E-Chrom, Dyna's and a very short visit with the Novatron crowd].

The bottom line for me now is, buy what I'm going to ultimately end up with, instead of perpetuating the viscous buy-trade in-buy cycle.

As to light quality, again, look you uses the stuff! The light is just totally different than that from any other manufacturer. It is very hard to describe, but is VERY evident when compared side-by-side on a light table. If you shoot fashion, you almost have to shoot with Profoto, it's light is just too damn gorgeous!

Wow, I should get $50 for the infomercial, but really, rent a couple of pieces and try it out. You will see what I'm talking about. Save your money on the mono-lights and buy packs. I use the Acute 12 and 24 and find with my RZ PII that the motor cycles the camera about as fast as the packs wind back up. It really hasn't been a problem with my MF gear.

Good luck.

YES!I I suppose we should address some of the other alternatives. For one, after researching studio lights I'm leaning on PROFOTO. I would like to match the same "light quality/character" that I'll be obtaining in the studio, on location indoors or out, fill light or in complete darkness. I desire it to have a wounderful quality of light, a product of modern and fuctional design, with a leading roll in U.S. presents. Quality, reliability and good customer support with a good history as a leader in the photography market. Hensel Porty and Balcar don't have a "real strong" U.S. presents. Norman and Lumedyne seem like they were designed in the 1950's! I narrowed it down to either a few Quantum Q-paq command modules or PROFOTO and a Quantum as a supplement-back up. I need fast recycle time and short flash duration. As always I will have to compromise a little on this or that since no one product is perfect. Thanks for everyones input.

Good move. I see a definite trend with people moving towards battery powered location lighting based on the jobs I'm getting and the magazine work that has been coming out lately.

I use the Hensel Porty 1200 with two heads supplemented by the Contra monolights made by the same company. Personally, I think having the Porty is like having the hammer of Thor when it comes to location lighting, since having more power on a per flash basis than two gigantic ARRISUNS (HMI, constant light source)which TV commercial film crews use is quite fun. I use the Hensels because where I am, the situation is reversed- Profoto has no presence.

I don't think you can go wrong with Pro-foto, or Hensel, for that matter.

Anyone have the comparitive prices features of these portable products. I am curious to the amount of flashes you can get per battery charge and relative prices. Any gripes or plus's regarding these portable flash systems would be appreciated, lugging a generator around is not a whole lot of fun.

Another battery powered studio power pack is the Broncolor Mobil. I have a friend who is a commercial photographer and he has had opportunity to try it out and I've watched it in action. It also is a 1200 WS pack with connections for two heads (with the A/C power adapter it becomes a 1500WS power pack).

Here's how my comparison goes so far: Both have two lamp connections. The Broncolor is symmetrical while the Profoto 7b is symmetrical/asymmetrical. Output at 10 ft. @ ISO 100 is f/45 (on battery and f/45 & 8/10 on A/C) for the Broncolor Mobil and f/45 & 7/10 for the Profoto. The Broncolor has an A/C adapter and the Profoto does not. Although Profoto states that you can continue to recharge the battery while using the unit (I don't know-but it seems to me that this could eventually run down on a heavy shoot). Both have changeable batteries so you can continue to shoot by swapping out the battery.

The Profoto offers 250 full power flashes per charge (180 at the fastest recycling setting) and the Broncolor offers 140 full power flashes per charge (100 at the faster recycling setting). Recycle times: Profoto 0.09-2.8 sec. (Fast) and 0.25-5.6 (Slow). Broncolor: 6 sec. (Fast) and 13 sec. (Slow), plus 0.6-2.4 sec. on A/C. The Profoto is faster here, however spare batteries for the Profoto are very expensive $349.00 USD (B&H Photo 11/99 quote) while spare batteries for the Broncolor are only $62.00.

The weight of the Broncolor is only 13.2 lbs and for the Profoto it is 26 lbs (twice as much). Profoto Dimensions: 9.5" W x 6.75" D x 9" H. Broncolor is 9.25" W x 5.75" D x 10.75 H. Modeling light on Profoto is 100 W and on Broncolor 50 W. Personally I am leaning towards the Broncolor Mobil. Mainly because of cost considerations.

The Broncolor Mobil Power Pack is only $1,710.00 USD and the Mobilite Heads are $529.00; while the Profoto 7b Power Pack is $3,899.00 USD (B&H Photo 11/99 quote) and the Pro 7b Lampheads are $699.00. The Profoto 7b setup costs almost twice as much. One Profoto 7b with two lampheads and one spare battery will run $5,646.00. One Broncolor Mobil with two lamheads and one spare battery will run $2,830.00. But for the money I would consider buying two Broncolor Mobils with four lampheads and two spare batteries, this will run $5,660.00. $14.00 more that a two head Profoto. But now I have four lampheads and even though the Mobil is symmetrical with two power packs I can have asymmetrical lighting setups plus if one pack where to go down, I still have one to keep using. I like both systems but have a hard time justifying Profoto's price. The only advantage I see with the Profoto is the faster recycling times, but it comes at great additional expense. Both Profoto and Broncolor systems are extensive and reliable. Note all prices are quoted from B&H Photo in New York for the Profoto system, and from the 1999 US SinarBron Catalog for the Mobil.

These are my thoughts regarding the Profoto 7b and the Broncolor Mobil. I hope this is usefull to all. For more information check out theses web sites:

Broncolor Mobil:

http://www.sinarbron.com/mobil.htm

http://www.bron.ch/products/31_010_xx.htm

Profoto 7b:

http://www.profoto.com

http://www.profoto-usa.com

-Ron

For the past 8 months, I've been using the Profoto Acute 12 pack with two 600ws lights and several of the light shaping devises that the company offers and am very pleased with the product. For fashion work, or portrait, there is one attachment in particular that is really amazing - it looks like a small satellite dish and just wraps the light around your subject. It is really super... I can't say enough good things about this outfit... but i know that the recycle time is limited on this unit for fashion work...

• 4 months later...
Hello boys and girls. I am back and on my way! Just came back from a PPA trade show in Autsin Texas. I picked up my PROFOTO gear and as soon as the rest of the gear gets here I'll let you know how much I like it. I had the pleasure of buying 2-PROFOTO ACUTE II (yes! generation 2's!) with 4 ACUTE II heads (2 for each pack). The ACUTE II's 2400 (watt seconds) have faster recycle time and faster flash duration!! I also picked up 2 COMPACT PLUS SPECIALS (600 watt seconds) and the PRO 7B portable with 2 heads. I also got 2 of the 19.5 " aluminum Softlight White Reflectors in 65 degree light beam with a aluminum 25 degree grid to use on either one. All the lights will be connected with POCKETWIZARDS "MAX" 32 channel full digital radio slaves! ....DON'T EVEN ASK THE COST OF ALL THIS GEAR!! I still have to buy AVENGER light stands and CHIMERA LIGHT BOXES along with a few other accessories. The gear looks very well made to say the least! I can't wait to see the results!! I'll put up a brand new posting in this forum under a new heading after I get some time to experiment with all my new gear! Until then, thanks for all your input everyone!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...