Speedotron 1201a and 103 flash heads

eddymendoza

Hi everyone, just received an older light kit from an estate and was wondering if there is anything I should know before using them. It

didn't come with a power chord but I can get those at Home Depot or Lowes. It is a normal power chord but with a round male prong

instead of the typical square like type used with pcs. I read as much as I could on the Internet but there's not much out there. I own

an older unit from Novatron that is about 30 years old but works perfect or as perfect as a 30 year old unit is expected to work.

I could post an image if anyone needs to see it but right now I'm on my iPad and that's a problem.

Thank you

<p>Download the manual from the Speedotron web site.<br>

When you connect the heads, make sure that the heads can take all the output from the pack.<br>

It is has SAT unused for a LONG time, which I am guessing it has. When you first power it up, do it in the garage or better yet in the driveway, just in case the capacitor lets go. Then set it sit for 30 minutes or so until the ready light turns on, then wait a while longer. Fire it then repeat this process about 10 times. This forms the capacitor.</p>

<p>I second Gary's "do it in your driveway" procedure. Or better yet, someone else's driveway.</p>

<p>Gary is right about needing to "form" the capacitor. His procedure is a bit off. You want to bring the cap up gradually from a low voltage to a higher one.</p>

<ul>

<li>If your flash has a power control, turn it to the lowest setting.</li>

<li>Unplug the flash from the wall</li>

<li>Turn the flash on</li>

<li>Plug in in for about a second, then unplug it. (this is easier if you get a power cord with a switch in it, then just turn that switch on for a second).</li>

<li>Let it sit for 10-20 minutes.</li>

<li>Repeat the "plug in for 1 second, wait 10-20 minutes" thing 2 more times.</li>

<li>Turn the power up about 1/2 way.</li>

<li>Repeat the "plug in for 1 second, wait 10-20 minutes" routine 3 times.</li>

<li>Turn the power up to full</li>

<li>Repeat the "plug in for 1 second, wait 10-20 minutes" routine 3 times.</li>

<li>Now plug it in for a few minutes, flash it, and repeat.</li>

</ul>

<p>You're there!</p>

Thank you gentlemen! I did just that. I put it out on my driveway and connected the power for a few minutes then turned it off and

unplugged it. I then waited a few minutes again and connected the heads on the lowest setting which was 200 watts, then fired the

flash and they worked fine. I did this a few times and they worked fine. Tomorrow I'll try the higher power settings to be sure.

Thanks again. I'm so happy they work. Are these so old that they won't play nice with my digital cameras? I have some wireless

receivers I can test with them, will that be okay?

Thanks again

Ed