Looking for a good upgrade from EOS 50D...Any suggestions?

jamie_clouser

<p>I recently had my 50D stolen and I'm thinking about replacing it with a better model. Thinking about a 5D or 7D. A few things to keep in mind:<br>

- I'm <em>just</em> getting started with photography. Looking to gain experience as a second shooter photographing kids and weddings.<br>

- My budget is limited: I have $3500 for a new body and kit lens and possibly an additional lens (any lens suggestions would also be appreciated.)</p>

<p>Thanks! Have a great Memorial Day.</p>

Agree with Shaun. Buy another 50d and good glass. You did say you are just starting with photography.. so could i ask if you exhausted all the possibilities of the 50 d before you had it nicked ? if no.. spend on glass .. if yes.. then move up and move on. Will enjoy your posts either way Regards miken

<p>The 7D is pretty difficult to come by right now and thus prices, both new and used, are a bit steep. But, yeah, if you can find a 7D, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. The 50D is a good camera but the 7D is so much better in terms of AF, high ISO IQ, battery power and customization controls, it's worth the extra bread. Plus, you might find the HD movie ability a plus. The only gotcha is the 5 AF modes are very different from the 50D and require a few extra weeks of study and practice to figure out which modes work for your style of shooting. I found Spot AF alone to be worth the upgrade from 50D to 7D (which I did in Fall 2009). I keep Spot AF on the DOF button and can invoke it on the fly in any AF mode.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Keep the 50D and buy GOOD lens, not kit lens!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, the OP's 50D was ripped off, so they would need to buy another one in order to keep it. Not all kit lenses are crap. I bought a 5D with kit lens (EF 24-105 4L IS USM) and 40D with kit lens (EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM) and both were truly excellent.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If it was me with that budget I'd get the Canon 60D ($1k same sensor as the 7D), Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non VC ($460), Canon 85mm 1.8 ($420) and the Metz 58AF-2 flash ($400 and better than the 580 EXII) with a Demb Flip It bounce card. I believe I could shoot almost any wedding or event with that set up. Save money for some back up redundancy like an extra body, strobe and zoom. Maybe look for a Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 zoom. You will be well equipped for wedding and event shooting. Maybe buy more when you know more about what you want to do and make the money to pay for it. Good luck! </p>

<p>I am tempted to say 7D but I notice that it is almost twice the 60D price. It is interesting that the better bodies do not fall rapidly in price like the consumer ones (Adorama has the 5DII at pretty much what I paid when it first came out!). The 7D handles like a real camera but this may not be enough to justify the extra money. For lenses then the 17-55 F2.8 gets rave reviews (I have never used it as I shoot full frame and APS-H as well as my 7D). The 85 F1.8 is a classic bargain (budget for the lens hood) and a 70-200 F4 (IS if you can afford it). I think $3500 will get you the 60D, the 17-55 F2.8 and the 70-200 F4 L IS with money to spare (e.g. for a flash). If you were happy with the 50D performance then the 60D will be fine and represents a quality upgrade.</p>

<p>If you're happy with the 50D, there are a couple inexpensive options:<br>

First option: <a href="http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_211654_-1">Refurbished 50D body from Canon USA</a> for $703.36.<br>

Next option: <a href="http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_211660_-1">Refurb 50D + 28-135 kit lens From Canon</a> for $831.36.</p>

<p>They're out of the 50D body-only right now, but keep checking the <a href="http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_29252">Refurbished EOS Camera List</a> every morning. I picked up a 100-400 a couple weeks ago. Everything goes in & out of stock almost daily, so you have to keep checking. Also keep checking to see of the 7D comes back on the refurb list. It was there a few weeks back (as was the 5DII, the 1DMkIV is on there now for $4k...), but I guess there aren't enough in the refurb pipeline now to keep the listing up. Plenty of good lenses out there for the leftover cash. The 7D is a great camera, but so is the 5DII. About the only way you could go wrong would be if you had a collection of EF-S lenses that won't work on the 5D!</p>

<p>Yes - after all, the 50D you lost was "used" too.</p>

<p>These things (digital cameras) get sold a long time before they're anywhere close to "used up". Look at the prices of the better-graded used ones at places like KEH, Adorama, or B&H. These places provide enough warranty to make sure it's working right.<br>

Look at eBay too, if you can afford a little more risk. I will say that when KEH has the stuff their prices are astonishingly close to realized prices on eBay, however.<br>

I've bought lots of lightly used digital cameras and they've always been close enough to "like new" for me.</p>

<p>Of course, there are also used and refurbished 7D cameras out there too, though they won't be the bargain that a 50D will be.</p>

<p>My most important advice is: If you are seriously considering Wedding Work AND as you do NOT have ANY cameras at the moment – this is a Golden Opportunity you have. Most people start with a camera and lenses and a few varied photographic experiences and THEN decide they want to do Wedding and Portrait work, but you have the opportunity to plan your purchases with a longer term goal in mind.<br />In this regard, I advise you forward think about the kit you eventually need (or think you need). I suggest that this vision will change, but at least if you have some concrete vision of the WHOLE KIT, you can make a plan as to which elements are the most necessary and be able to construct a purchase plan about that.<br />Also note that as a SECOND shooter it is often the case that you are under instruction from the Lead Photographer and sometimes you are using a longer lens more often than a normal range of FL lens.</p>

<p>I suggest the first choice you make is what FORMAT cameras (plural) you wish to use in this Wedding Kit. My choice was to use a Dual Format DSLR Wedding and Portrait Kit, as I see this having overwhelming advantages in many respects.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Addressing your question literally, some of the previous and assuming you decide to have an APS-C camera in your final Wedding and Portrait Kit:<br />Between the two bodies you ask about (7D and 5D) my answer is the 7D.<br />BUT: Considering you wish to use these tools for Wedding Photography and you have a total budget of $3500 (assume US$) - then I agree with Gil's response, if you want to buy new gear. If you want to buy second hand then get a 50D.<br />I would buy the Canon Flash 580MkII (because I would like to build with a second Canon Flash later) BUT I have Metz Flash units and they are very good.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Assuming you decide to have an ALL APS-C Camera kit:<br />I am not keen on Sigma lenses generally: but the 50 to 135/2.8 is an ideal as a second Wedding Zoom on an APS-C format camera and Canon don't make one - and it is just a matter of ensuring the lens you get is a good copy - and realistically there is not that much wrong with Sigma - mostly just my prejudice.<br />If you went all Canon lenses, then the EF-S17-55/2.8 IS is a magnificent lens. Then if you need longer the 70 to 200L Series of Lenses, is where to look as a ZOOM mate.<br />BUT you also need a Fast Prime – I recommend that you need TWO, the 35/2 and the 85/1.8 are good ecconommical choices – but the 24/1.4L would be better than the 35/2.<br />Also if you have a 17 to 50/2.8 or a 17 to 55/2.8, then the 35/2 is a little superfluous on a camera whihc gives you good ISO at 1600, as the 35/2 only gives you one more stop of aperture – useful - but NOT as useful as an F/1.4 lens, to be used as the Standard Fast Lens, on an APS-C Camera.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Well, if you've got a $3500 budget, and want to shoot weddings and kids, you'll get the most bang for your buck out of a 5D. You could get a 5D, a 24-70/2.8 a 70-200/4, a 50/1.4 and an 85/1.8 for about that $$$ range. With that combination, you can easily shoot 95% of what you are asking about, and not compromise at all in either lens quality, or body capacity. </p>

<p>Obviously I can't say if that's the right kit for you, only you can say. But it is an excellent kit, and nearly identical to what serves many wedding pros to this day. (assuming you have accessories of course)</p>

<p>A refurb 50D is fine for learning the craft, and it would free up a lot of money for lenses. Excellent glass has two big advantages: 1) it lasts longer than bodies, and b) provides a lot of instant gratification as to image quality.You could get two or three great lenses if you went this route, such as 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 135 2.0 L, 50 1.4, 17-40 f4 L, each of which is around or below (some well below) the $1000 mark.<br>

A 7D is a killer camera, but you will definitely pay a premium for it. I have a 7D, and yet I still use my 40D with good results and complete satisfaction.<br>

If you want to take the plunge, a 5DII and 24-105 L lens kit is within your $3500 range, and the 24-105 is an excellent, versatile L-series lens. I myself see a definite improvement with the full-frame.</p>

<p>HTH.</p>