D7000 video editing S/W

greg_lisi

<p>Just recieved my D7000 about a week ago. Upgraded from the D90 which is a good camera, but this one's a honey. Anyway, with the D90 I hardly used video, therefore I didn't have a use for decent video editing S/W. The video coming out of the D7000 is too nice not to use (for me anyway). Awhile back I used to have Pinnacle to mess around and make videos with. By now I'm probably 2-3 version upgrades behind. Question is, what's your video editing choice these days that will handle the .mov format of the D7000? Much appreciated</p>

<p>Greg asked:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Question is, what's your video editing choice these days that will handle the .mov format of the D7000?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>All current versions of popular non-linear editors (NLEs) should be able to handle the D7000's QuickTime-packaged, 1080p24 .mov files (although personally, I've only edited D7000 files in Final Cut Pro on a Mac). While the most popular NLE for Windows users is likely Adobe Premiere Pro (and its lesser-priced version, Adobe Premiere Elements), my favorite Windows NLE is Sony Vegas. It's very robust, and is able to handle multiple frame rates on the same timeline without crashing, a feat few others can claim. It's also easy to use, and has an attractive effects interface.</p>

<p>If you're an OS X user, there's kind of only one choice: Apple's Final Cut. Available in a super-expensive "suite" version: Final Cut Studio, standalone version: Final Cut Pro, and the budget-priced, Final Cut Express. All of the above NLEs have downloadable trial versions. I own/use Final Cut Studio, but if I were on a Windows machine, I would be running Sony Vegas.</p>

<p>If you want to just start out with something capable, yet, inexpensive, then, either Adobe Premiere Elements (Windows), or Final Cut Express (OS X), would be fine. I'm not sure if Sony offers a budget version of Vegas.</p>

<p>Greg, as you used Pinncale I assume, you have a PC, not a MAC.<br /> The ViewNX video editor is extremely restricted. Depending on the processor type it allows only the inclusion of a few clips. The better your PC the less clips can be used, on an i7 you finally can include only two clips. Sound editing is extremely restricted. This all looks like a license problem, intended to keep power users away.<br /> I personally use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 (not the pro version) for D7000 HD videos. It works fine, offers rich video and sound editing capabilities and you can download a free, fully functional 30 day trial version. It can produce many video output formats, the HD formats do not show a significant loss during editing. The actual version of Adobe Premiere elemens plays in the same league. Unfortunately I have no experience with newer Pinnacle versions, so I cannot comment on this.</p>

<p>As the kids say (these days), "You Rock!" Thanks guys soooo much for your input. The two editors I did get good feedback on was Sony Vega and Cyberlink PowerDirector 9. Also Adobe's Premier Elements faired well. I guess I'll give them a try. The D7000's 1080p video is quite awesome. And now being able to record for 20 min. clips is a great feature when your a grandpop and need to get those "magic moments" from stills and video.</p>

<p>I posted a similar question recently. I downloaded both Vegas and Studio 15 and much prefer Studio (simpler interface and it appears to run faster on my computer). I was able to buy it online for only $55 on eBay (Retails for $100). </p>

<p>Thanks Elliot. I'll check out Studio 15. I'm currently playing with Cyberlink's PowerDirector 9. It's got some pretty nifty features. I know Pinnacle renders good output even from the old days (although it had quite a few bugs).</p>

<p>I hadn't heard of either the Cyberlink or Studio 15 products until I read about them here. Cyberlink looks to have some interesting performance features, and a nice-looking GUI. However, it's probably also worth mentioning that most FX plug-in vendors generally only support the three most-popular NLEs (Premiere, Vegas, FCP). Red Giant Software (Magic Bullet), Boris FX, FxFactory, and others, offer some pretty neat plug-ins for NLEs, but are application-specific. Most support only Premiere (or Adobe After Effects), Vegas, and/or FCP.</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...