OT So what is the verdict on softies?

chansonbleu

It has been a month since the softies were sent out for the test.

What do those who used them think about them? Did they improve the

handling or not? My personal experiance has been that they do allow

me th shoot hand held 2 stops slower shutter speeds with noticeably

more sharpness. I am interested to hear the testers opinions.

Regards

Steve

Steve, thanks for including me as one of yout testers. I like your item.

I've used Toms' version for awhile also. With the motor mounted on a M

I find the larger version of Toms' seems to dampen the kick back a bit

better. But for general use I like the smaller version as it doesn't get hung

up as easily as the larger one. I also like the concave version. Thanks.

Hey, you're not going to take it away from me are you?

5 weeks with the Beldon softies.

I used the concave one for a while. I didn't like that it drew my finger tip in and encouraged 'push the button down' forefinger work. Unfortunately I also lost it after it came adrift from the camera in my bag for the second time. Maybe it had a shorter screw section (I didn't notice a difference) or maybe the edge it presents makes it unscrew off as the camera jiggles about in the bag. FWIW I think the latter may be true.

The convex one felt much better. I'd find my finger tip resting on the shutter dial with the softie resting against the middle portion of the finger. My neural signal to release the shutter seemed to smoothly translate into a tightening movement (difficult to explain this!) of the whole finger. The shutter felt 'tripped' and 'released' rather than 'pressed'. When this works, finger movement is hardly apparent (I looked in the mirror) as opposed to the movement the concave release encouraged, which is considerable. Does this indicates a 'qietness' to shutter release that can enable a lower shutter speed? My impression is it does,and probably the concave one would too but it's shape persuades the finger tip to engage.

I think you should market them, and if possible sell them in pairs? There is a value for money in doing so because generally people won't have tried one and 2 looks generous and caters for different tastes. People would also tend to put their second preference on another camera and in use is good. Maybe colours if you can.

Steve--

I can never remember the difference between "convex" and "concave," so I'll just state that I prefer the one that rises up toward the center, rather than the one that is shaped more like a funnel. I would like it slightly larger in diameter, say about 30% larger across the top, which would make it easier to find with my eye at the finder. This size would still make it somewhat smaller than Tom A's softie, which I also like very much. With that said, I would recommend that, if you want to make and sell a version, you should concentrate on the other one -- the type that is shaped in opposite fashion from Tom A's...I recommend this b/c, in past threads, I recall some folks writing that they prefer this type of release, and so you may find a market "niche" producing it.

I'll add that these softies seem very well made. I'm always impressed by people who can actually make stuff, since my job mainly involves writing and babbling.

Thanks for including me in your test. I hope I get to keep these, since I would like to keep using at least one of 'em.

I prefer the convex sample. It allows me to use the joint of my index finger, comfortably, to activate the shutter release. Which in turn allows me to get more of my righthand on the camera so that I can get a better grip on it (get a grip!). I much appreciate the 'free sample' softie. If I need replacements/additional ones, will they be available? Cost?

Thanks

Steve, thanks for sending out your softies. The concave softie felt odd in use. The convex softie was a bit too small for my taste. Both softies had trouble screwing them into my shutter releases and I didn't wish to force.

I have Tom's softie as well. Just my opinion, but it feels "smoother" in use perhaps because of the larger surface area.

Thanks for your trust. Don

Steve, I was thinking it must be time for you to get back to us on this! I was one of the critics in your softies post but still you graciously opted to include me in your test...

I have to tell you I haven't done much shooting this month (I tend to spend less time with the camera and more time in the darkroom in these cold California winters- haha), so I can't give you any feedback based on results from photos, just first impressions from spending some time releasing the shutter without film in the camera.

I tried the method of folding my finger over the convex release so that the fatty bottom portion (actually the crook below the first knuckle) was what was putting pressure down instead of the tip of the finger. I think this may have been essentially a technique Tom had described, if I recall correctly. I tried this at slow shutter speeds and compared it without the softie and using fingertip. I'd have to say it seems pretty clear this use of the convex softie would lend itself to less camera movement when releasing the shutter. The release point is easier to control and more predictable, meaning that you have a better idea exactly when the shutter is going to go, and I believe the pressure of your finger is more evenly distributed over the release than with the fingertip 'poking' or pushing type action. I have no evidence that this improves image sharpness, but it sure seems it would.

I couldn't figure a technique that would really make me want to use the concave softie, except perhaps shooting under normal conditions with faster shutter speeds, where the release might be quicker than without. I'm not sure I'd use it. I wonder if it might reduce camera shake enough to make a difference with faster speeds, I don't know. I tend to like the feel of the metal shutter release better than the plastic softie for general use.

I find any additional piece of equipment one more thing to worry about, but at this point I'd say I'd want to have the convex one around to put on for situations where I was going to need slow hand held shutter speeds. For me this is occaisional, not often, but still important enough when the situation demands.

You did a good job with these and they look much more like a finishing touch to the camera than an add-on, as I might have thought. Let us know if you want them back or a check in the mail! Also keep us updated on what your conclusions and plans are for them.

I was going to make fun of Douglas until I realized when writing this that even though I clearly know the difference between convex and concave, I did have to stop a second a couple times to make sure I was using the right one. But if you think that's bad, get a load of this: I was once riding in the back seat of a car with two girls (fellow graduate art students) in the front who during the drive BOTH said they had to stop and think when they heard the words 'left' and 'right'- which one was which! We all have our quirks. ;-)

Steve.

I've shot about 25 rolls through an M6 and R4 with your devices. On the M6, I slightly prefer the concave one, yet on the R4, which requires more force to trigger the shutter, the convex one seemed more comfortable. Nonetheless, I have a concave Nikon release that is larger in diameter and this works considerably better on the SLR than either of yours. With the M6, size doesn't seem to be as much of an issue though I think I would appreciate an increase in the diameter by about 20%.

Thank you very much for sending me the samples.

Steve,As I Emailed you to thank you and with my first impressions a while ago...I must admit that they haven't changed. I really like he convex version though I wish it had a longer shank as it does become loose in travel and I cross threaded it twice before mounting it correctly.I also wish it was widened about 20-25% for a little more positive feel. However, I feel it is VERY useful and mine is still mounted on my M.As I said before, for some reason, I like the concave version on my Rollei 35...go figure! But if you were to market only one, I would suggest the convex one.If you make it a tad bit wider and with a longer shank, please let me know (or test it!). As a pro photog. I really appreciate the opportunity to test these!Todd

First I want to thank everyone who participated in the test. Not all the verdics are in yet but I'll make a few comments to those who have responded. Marc, they are yours to keep and enjoy. Chris, thanks for the e-mail and suggestions.Selling them in pairs is a good idea. Douglas, the larger concave one has been designed and made. Actually it stays on my M all the time now. Doug, replacements are available I have not figured our a cost yet. E-mail me if you need a replacement. Dexter, these were a pair of softies, one concave and one convex that I whiped up as an experiment. Donald, My original idea was to keep them small and low profile as to not detract from a cameras apearance. After a few comments early on I made them larger and improved the thread. I will send you an improved set since these did not work for you. Ray, thanks for the compliment about "looking more like a finishing touch". They are yours to keep and there won't be a bill in the mail:-) Vuk, larger concave has been done. I'll send you one just let me know if it is better than the Nikon. Todd, thanks for all the suggestions and e-mails. An improved version is on the way for some profesional testing. Thanks again to all who have responded so far.

Regards

Steve

I, too, would vote for a slightly larger diameter concave softie. I like the way my finger nestles inside the bowl and automatically gravitates toward the center, but Steve's prototypes are a little small for my finger. The quality of Steve's is nice. I bet some would love a black paint over brass version. Thanks a bunch, Steve.

First of all, thanks, Steve, for including me to use the samples. I agree with Chris, as he said in his earlier post, "The shutter felt 'tripped' and 'released' rather than 'pressed'". I no longer have to push it down. Also, as I've shooting with my Nikon gear for my daytime job, the convex one makes me feel better on my finger tip. When I was using the concave one, my finger tip was rested on the edge of the softy, and I didn't feel good, tripping it that way. I used both of them on my 2 M's at the same time. It was obvious I want to have only one kind of the softy on my 2 bodies - convex. Nevertheless, I'd rather keep the concave one there than being without it.

If you have an extra convex, how much are you selling it for? I'm seriously considering getting another one. Thanks again, Steve, for your generosity.

hiro

I loved the convex softie! I can't quite get used to the feel of the concave model. The biggest problem with both is keeping them on the camera. They unscrew themselves with reckless abandon. Fortunately I found the convex one 3 times in my car, once in my living room, all when I was unaware of when it had fallen off. I even retrieved it once from my lawn when I WAS aware it was falling off. The last time it escaped was for good! Flourescent hot pink would make it easier to find, but a locking nut on the shaft would make it harder to loose.