Buying a new Nikon DSLR and need some help

katie_tanner

<p><em>"On the other hand... a D7000 WILL give you a lot more pixels to peep"</em> - if you are after pixels peeping, the D5100 camera has the same number of pixels, the same sensor, and the same picture quality, for much less money.</p>

<p>All depends what lenses you have or plan to get, and how and what you shoot.<br>

The D5100 could be a better camera than the D7000, with money left to throw a party...</p>

<p>What was said about being a graphic designer and not a photographer is true! Maybe the cheaper way is to hire someone.. It would be cheaper. In the meantime do some studying. It's not fun but you can make it a work of joy! Learn about the technical. I prefer vision(seeing?) to the ones who shoot purely for technique.Boring pix. The truth is that the best digital box and lens is always the next one! Stop wondering about lenses..Theyr'e all good. Get a few standard prime lenses, especially a macro(micro in Nikon talk).<br>

You will have speed,a fast aperture, to capture everything in all kind of light. Learn to use feet and not zoom.<br>

Total heresy! Get a film camera. They are dirt cheap. Get an old Nikon,try out some film,have hi-rez scans done(mine are about 6mp, at a local one hour lab. Cheap and OK. i know all you digital people think thats all wrong.Less photos to edit,cost makes one learn real quick. No editing,downloading or playing with more and more complicated cameras..<br>

Last bit! Push the button. Find scenes that interest you.Push the button.</p>

<p>I'm really curious about that big, excellent photograph. Could you open it up in Photoshop CS5, look at the camera data (File/File Info... then click on the "Camera Data" tab on the pop-up window) and report it to us here?I'm particularly interested in the camera make, the ISO and the pixel dimensions. (Although there are other pertinent statistics there) </p>

<p>There is a chance that this information may not be available in that image, but could you at least give the pixel dimensions? (Image/Image Size...)</p>

<hr>

<i>Signature URL deleted. Please review photo.net <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use">Terms of Use</A> and <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/">Community Guidelines</A>.</i>

<p>The Phase one medium format camera back is indeed an excellent way to make good looking images. I expect from the "WOW" you have found out how much they cost! In addition to their price, skill on the part of the photographer is key to getting really good looking images.</p>

<p>But please don't despair, you may not get quite the same images with a Nikon F7000, but they can be very good. (I have both Hasselblad and Nikon equipment, Hasselblad digital cameras are comparable to Phase One) Realistically, you only see a difference between the two (given good technique) once you print larger than about 12"X18".</p>

<hr>

<i>Signature URL deleted. Please review photo.net <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use">Terms of Use</A> and <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/">Community Guidelines</A>.</i>

<p>@ Frank AND Katie:<br>

Frank's right, the D5100 will give the same resolution as the D7000 with more than a few bucks left over.<br>

On the other hand, one of the many step up features on the D7000 is "Auto FP" high speed flash sync, which may or may not be useful to you. With it, your sync speed is the camera's highest shutter speed. On the D80, that's 1/4000th of a second. Without it, your highest sync seed is 1/200th. I shoot speedlights indoors and outdoors in all kinds of situations, so it's a big deal to me for controlling the ambient light. Your D80 has it, the D7000 has it, the D5100 does not. (My daughter's cheap old D40 can sync to 1/2500th with Cybersync triggers. Yee Ha! )<br>

Like I said before: Try the and excellent (borrow it, with luck one of your photog friends has one) Nikon 50mm f1.8 on your D80, and do this:<br>

Get the camera off "auto" - use "aperture priority", at ISO 200, shoot in "good" light, stop down to f5.6 or f8 (no more) use the lens hood, take the skylight filter off, shoot off a good solid tripod, shoot in RAW - sharpen in Photoshop or Aperture or Lightroom (RAW always needs sharpening), and just maybe save yourself a boat load of money. Do everything I say, and I PROMISE you will get razor sharp low noise images. PROMISE.<br>

When this works out for you, and it will, you owe me a cold Guinness.</p>