Shooting straight

alexacatalin

<p>Hi! <br>

It's an old problem that I have: I'm not shooting always straight. It's nothing "artistic" or something that I'm wishing for. Could be my eye, my brain ... The idea that maybe 20% of my photos are not as I would like them to be and I have to work more later. <br>

Are there any solutions out there that can be used? Some guides or something. <br>

Thanks! </p>

<p>Unless the images are really badly off just correct the images in LR. Many of my images are not exactly even with some part of the image that is straight. Not a big deal. For some cameras you can get focusing screens with grids to help you align the image when you capture the image. To me it is just easier to correct in the post processing.</p>

<p>Here you go.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523871-REG/Canon_2377B001_EF_D_Focusing_Screen_for.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523871-REG/Canon_2377B001_EF_D_Focusing_Screen_for.html</a></p>

<p>Not quite as sophisticated as turning on the grid--you gotta change it yourself.</p>

<p>You can also just figure out which side you are holding up or down or whatever, and consciously correct. Over time, it will become unconscious.</p>

<p>Also verify that your viewfinder is actually level in the camera. It can be rotated a few degrees without you knowing or being able to notice it right away. Use a prime lens with little distortion for instance a macro when you test this. Or send it to Canon service and they can check it for you.</p>

<p>When possible, look for something in the frame with straight lines, a corner, an object, and try to use that to your advantage. Of course, if it makes you shoot at an angle not on a flat plane with the background, then it's only useful for that one line, so you have to consider all that. It seems as I'm typing, it's easy for me to do this, but I'm not sure if I'm explaining it clearly.</p>

<p>The two Sony pellicle cameras (a33 and a55) come with a horizontal level display in their electronic viewfinders. A useful and simple innovation like that shouldn't be too difficult to implement in DSLRs with optical viewfinders too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The two Sony pellicle cameras (a33 and a55) come with a horizontal level display in their electronic viewfinders. A useful and simple innovation like that shouldn't be too difficult to implement in DSLRs with optical viewfinders too.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>All of my Nikon digital cameras have the "rule of thirds" grid that can be turned on or off within the viewfinder (none of my Canon's ever did). The newer DSLRs have a level feature using LiveView. I know I have this on my D300s and I am pretty sure the Canon 7D has it. </p>

<p>Besides focusing screens, you can also get levels to use in your hot shoe:</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/715140-REG/Sunpak_SP_2W_LV_2_Way_Bubble_Level.html</p>

<p>And of course most tripods have levels.</p>