Cheap tripod/support for hiking

michael_c18

<p>I'm looking for a cheap tripod to grab some photos while hiking that include me in them. I already have a nice, solid tripod for normal use, but I'm looking for something lighter and more compact that's easy to take hiking. The primary concerns are weight and price; I realize that I won't find anything high quality with those conditions, but I'm okay with that. (I'd also like to be able to get enough height that full-length people shots won't look too weird.)</p>

<p>I have a Nikon D200 (potentially moving up to a D700 soon) and would be mostly using a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens with it, though I wouldn't mind being able to use my Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. I already have a Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head, which I'd probably use to save on cost.</p>

<p>My price range could maybe go up to $70, but ideally would be $50 or less. I've looked at getting a Gorillapod SLR Zoom, but I'm not totally sure it'd take the weight of my setup above (plus my ball head). Plus, I've read that Gorillapods can be really annoying to get positioned properly when trying to frame a shot. I also poked around on B&H and found <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366412-REG/Sunpak_620_005B_DigiPro_Compact_B_Tripod.html">this Sunpak tripod</a>, which fits the bill except potentially not holding enough weight... What would you recommend for me to look at? Gorillapod, tripod, other options?</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice!</p>

<p>I think you would be much better served to look at a used tripod if that is your price point. Anything new you buy in that price range is going to have a very hard time stabilizing a D700 and f2.8 lenses and will likely not be very durable for hiking. Check out KEH and Ebay. You can get a used set of Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripod legs for under $70. </p>

<p>Patrick, good point. I never even thought to weigh them! I pulled out my kitchen scale and found that the camera + 17-50 is about 3 1/2 pounds; with 24-70, a bit under 4 1/2 pounds; and with the 70-200, it's nearly 5 pounds and 11 ounces. Not sure how likely I am to lug that one around while hiking, but it'd be nice to have the option to stick it on a tripod if I did.</p>

<p>Dave, I can't believe I didn't think to look for used. That sounds like a great solution; thanks for the tip! I didn't even think to check KEH; I only think of them for bodies and lenses...</p>