How can I use a Nikon SB600 as a slave with a D300 in manual flash mode?

mark amy

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I've searched and searched, but I can't find an answer to this problem!</p>

<p>I have a Nikon D300, 1 x SB600 and 2 x Yongnuo YN467s and I'm trying to see if it's possible to get all three flashes to fire at the same time.</p>

<p>The 2 Yongnuo flashes will only fire with the D300 in manual flash mode and I can only get the SB600 to fire if the camera is in commander mode.</p>

<p>The Yongnuo flashes fire when they see the in-camera flash fire on its lowest setting, so is it possible to get the SB600 to do the same? </p>

<p>I've tried setting the SB600 to manual mode on the back of the flash, but it still won't fire when it sees the camera's flash.</p>

<p>Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any assistance!<br>

Mark</p>

<p> </p>

<p>False alarm, I've got it now! After trying endless combinations of settings, it suddenly all came together!</p>

<p>D300 in commander mode - built in flash set to '--' / Group A - manual / Group B - TTL</p>

<p>Yongnuos set to TTL & SB600 set to manual</p>

<p>I wanted the SB600 set to manual because it's to sit behind and light a coloured backdrop.</p>

<p>Maybe this will help someone else if ever they have a different combination of branded flashes.</p>

<p>Thanks for that. I'm just happy all three are firing at the same time!</p>

<p>Could you help me with another question to do with these 3 flashes?</p>

<p>It's about flash power and flash duration and mixing brands. These are the figures for the SB600:</p>

<p>Flash duration (approx.):<br />1/900 sec. at M1/1 (full) output<br />1/1600 sec. at M1/2 output<br />1/3400 sec. at M1/4 output<br />1/6600 sec. at M1/8 output<br />1/11100 sec. at M1/16 output<br />1/20000 sec. at M1/32 output<br />1/25000 sec. at M1/64 output</p>

<p>and the only info I could find for the Yongnuos is:</p>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Manual mode</th>

<td>Yes, 1/1 to 1/64</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Flash duration</th>

<td>1/800 – 1/20,000s</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>So , for example, flash duration on the SB600 at 1/64 is 1/25,000s and on the Yongnuo at 1/64 is 1/20,000s.</p>

<p>Will these differences affect shots for example when it comes to freezing water drops in low ambient light even though the flash durations are still very fast?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>So , for example, flash duration on the SB600 at 1/64 is 1/25,000s and on the Yongnuo at 1/64 is 1/20,000s.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>You are confusing some terms.</p>

<p>Flash duration= The total (ON) time the flash tube is energized. It is a rather complex subject in reality.<br>

If you graphed this duration, you would see it is NOT a "instant on" state, but rather has several states. (off) (energized) (ramp up to maximum output) (ramp down to zero) On a graph these states look like curves.<br>

All flash tubes with their associated circuitry are not created equal, so these (on-off-states) behave differently.</p>

<p>In regards to the Yongnuo trigger:</p>

<p>All triggers have a (delay) prior to sending the RF (Radio Frequency). As soon as the trigger sends the signal, it moves at the speed of light to the receiver where your flash waits for the triggering signal.</p>

<p>The delay of the trigger <strong>PLUS</strong> the delay of the flash=Total Delay.</p>

<p>The 1/20,000/sec delay limitation is what the Yongnuo considers the max trigger delay; so don't set your SB-600 less than M=1/32.</p>

<p>I've not tested the triggers at low flash outputs, but you can certainly experiment.</p>

<p>RF triggers don't care what brand of flash you hook them to as long as the pin configuration mates properly with the flash.</p>

<p>Remember, the Yongnuo triggers are operated only in manual mode for both your flash AND camera.<br>

If you have your camera set to Av or Tv, the flash will indeed trigger, but no TTL information is transmitted to the flash.</p>