Dropped My 24-70 lens

stephen_james3

<p>Hi All,<br>

Was out shooting yesterday and left my camera on the passenger seat of my car, I also had my tripod on the seat. I think I may have accidentally hit the button you press to release/attatch the lens on the Camera off my tripod while laying my camera next to it.<br /> Thats the only explanation I can come up with, cause when I got out to take a picture it just fell off my 5d onto the ground. The lens itself looks perfect ( i had the hood on ) But when I went to attactch it to the camera, it wont lock into place. Its not the camera as i've tried other lenses and they lock into place fine.<br /> When looked at more closely it seems that the metallic mount where the serial number is written is slightly warped and bent. I am really worried about this!<br /> My question is, Has this happened to anybody before? and Does anybody know if this can be Repaired by Canon? or is my lens a write off? I would be grateful for any help! I only bought it a few months ago!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anybody know if this can be Repaired by Canon?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is almost certainly repairable. I've sent in lenses in much worse shape than what you describe(some in several pieces), and have received them from factory service working like they were new. Call them first - they'll hook you up with repair request form and shipping labels. </p>

<p>I dropped my 70-200 f4 L. The mount was damaged and the auto-focus stopped working. I got it repaired at a registered Canon repairer under my house insurance so had to pay an excess. The mount, some parts of the barrel and the a/f mechanism needed to be replaced. After which it worked fine again and I am now more careful with my gear.</p>

<p>Since the impact was hard enough to bent the lens mount, and since it's a few month old, you better send it to a Canon Factory Service Center to let them check the lens for other possible damages.</p>

<p>Just for your reference, something similar happened to me several years ago. My 16-35 L didn't get attached securely to the body and took a nasty fall onto a tile floor. No glass was damaged but the mount was bent. Also, the zoom mechanism was messed up, preventing it from covering the full range. I sent it to Canon repair in New Jersey and they fixed it for $175. It's been just like new ever since. Thank you Canon!</p>

<p>I hope it goes as well for you.</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

the same happened to me last Tuesday. I have dropped my 24-70. It fell out of my camera bag. The lens looked ok but the lens mount was sligtly bent like yours so that it was impossible to mount it on the camera. Because I was in need of the lens I gave it to Canon to fix it. The bill was 564 Euros. Shocking.<br>

Stefan Arend</p>