Anyone who's been using the YN-560 for a while?

<p>Hi guys!</p>

<p>I just read about this flash yesterday and it seems like something I need to pick up for simple strobist work, it looked to be a very capable flash if one disregards the lack of TTL-support for my Nikon.</p>

<p>But on the strobist site there's an update saying that he can no longer recommend it after there's been a lot of reports of these things failing. Anyone who's had one for a while without issues?<br>

Also, since the flash is only manual, is the setting of zoom and power kind of a trial and error if I don't have a light meter? I just have to set power, shoot, and see how it looks, repeat the process if it's wrong? What's your workflow when using off shoe flashes on manual?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!<br>

Regards, Alex K.</p>

<p>Without TTL, your choices are a flash meter, guide numbers, or trial and error. I have a flash meter and still often use trial and error. But I mostly shoot still-life's, with people, you wouldn't want to waste their time. With light modifiers, guide numbers won't be real accurate, but can get you close.</p>

<p>With multiple flashes, especially rim-lights and back-lights, I often adjust each one individually, with the others off.</p>

<p>Also note that there are many other variables besides the flash output setting. ISO gives me 2 stops (100-400). 400 is good enough for almost everything I do. Sometimes 1 or so stops of f-stop adjustment (without changing the effect I want). Distance of flash to subject (slight adjustments won't usually change the effect I want. Anyway, the point is, once you get the flash power close, the final fine tuning can often be done at the camera.</p>

<p>For strobist work without TTL, there are also many older used flashes available. I have a bunch I bought on ebay for $30-$40 each. </p>

<p>I have two of them. They've worked fine from day 1 and I have no complaints. I also have the new TTL capable model and it also works just fine.</p>

<p>For workflow, I dial in the ambient light I want, then I start adding each flash individually till I have the scene lit the way I'd like.</p>

<p>I'm still learning how to do this effectively though, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice on workflow.</p>

<p>I replaced an old SB-20 with a new YN560 a few months back, and I don't regret it at all. Mine has been very reliable. I'm planning to get a few more as soon as my starving-student finances allow it, to replace other old manual flashes. The fast recycle time alone is worth the price.</p>