How to answer a Bride!

val pereira

<p>I did meet a Bride and she loved my work, style of pictures and the price we agree on an<br>

amount. I was willing and accepted most of her requests. My contract says that the costumer have<br>

to pay in full 2(two) weeks before the wedding. Being 50% by the day the contract is sign and the other<br>

50% two weeks before the wedding. <br>

So she emailed saying that she was excited to sign that contract. I did email her the contract and<br>

she emailed back with this question.<br>

- Finally, since we are paying for your work before we actually see or receive any of the pictures, I would feel more comfortable including a date or a certain amount of time in between the wedding day and when we will actually be receiving all of the pictures that are included in the package. I know that you said it should not take more than a month if I remember correctly? But I would like that included in the contract because I think the final result is most important and I want us to be totally comfortable with each other and make sure we establish that early on. <br>

Thank you so much for your time!</p>

<p>I would love to hear some reply.<br>

Thank You!<br>

Val Messer</p>

<p>This request is very reasonable and should be part of any photography contract.</p>

<p>I haven't shot a wedding in almost a year, but my contracts have always included a time frame of 14 days for final proofs even though I generally have the entire wedding done in 2-3 days.<br>

<br />I now am shooting portraits and my turnaround is contracted for 7 days, but I usually have a few shots done for the client in a few hours.</p>

<p><br />RS</p>

<p>Indeed, it's perfectly reasonable. I have that clause in all my contracts (I do very few weddings, but still...) - in fact, 15% of the final fee is due on delivery of the proofs (I even have provisions for delays on my part, entitling the client to discounts depending on the actual delays...!)</p>

<p>I'd say agree and, like was said earlier, find a date you and your client feel comfortable with.</p>

<p>A contract without a time for delivery leaves room for a court to decide against you should a client be impatient. Always specify delivery commitments in your contracts. Dates aren't just reasonable, they're vital to protect your own interests. Setting customer expectations is a key part of good customer service.</p>

<p>I do what David does. I tell them two months max, but I have never taken more than 5 weeks, and that was only in one extreme case. I like to try and have them ready to view online by the time they get back from their honeymoon. It's always good to set an expectation and then show how great you are by doing better.</p>

First, kindly forgive my typing errors. I think people on this site somewhat expect errors from me! Also note the time I wrote this last night!

I also offer a cash option. At the end of the wedding the couple simply pays me by check or cash. A lot of times, more then 50 percent of the time, the cash will come with a tip! I'm not too strict about contracts being perfect. There is often the need to be flexable along with your contract being worded and signed properly. The key here is to let them know they can't pick up the DVD, or prints in my case until all the fees are paid. We don't give out DVD's or CD's because we would starve. We simply tell the clients that the photos will look stinky if they use Walmart or something. We strongly suggest to them to have at least the first batch of pics printed by a pro lab. The results will be a lot better, because the pro labs correct for color, exposures, and use quality paper.

<p>Get the money upfront and have a delivery time in your contract. If your client has 4-6 weeks to wait and pay, they will already have their credit card bill in hand from the wedding and honeymoon and you will be sitting there an waiting for them.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I booked a wedding for last year 2013.<br>

With 4 total photo session: Engagement, Ceremony one Day, Reception another Day, Trash the Dress another Day.<br>

When she sow the wedding images she said that she cried again, that was tears of joy. <br>

The Bride will have 4 albums: Guest book with the ESessions in it, BG Album and 2 Parents Album and there is where my big problem is, the Parents Albums.<br>

The lab that I work with most of you probably know Graphic Studio, they offer a Same Design for the parents album in a different size and paper material of the BG.<br>

Now that the Design is complete she tough (assume) that she would have a different pictures and design for the parents album and sent me an disapointed email, forgetting all of the emotional images e long photo sessions we had.<br>

What would you do?<br>

Respond the email saying you will make a different album design with different pictures or simple go with the lab and work design rules?</p>

<p>Val, this thread you began about three years ago.<br>

It is likely that you would get more responses to this new question, if you began a new thread.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>My opinion - - -<br>

From what I understand: it appears that you did not make it clear enough for the Customer to understand exactly what she would get in the Parents' Albums.<br>

It is very important that the Client knows exactly what they are purchasing - it is part of the Photographer's job to ensure all purchase expectations are crystal clear. <br>

A log / list of the selected photos for any album and also the Album Design recorded and then the Customer's signature on that list as an 'Order Sheet' is one appropriate business procedure. </p>

<p>I would set about discussing exactly what images the Client wants in those albums and what designs are available.</p>

<p>WW</p>