Mamiya 7ii advice for proper composition

nick_higgins

<p>Hello photo.net community,<br>

I was wondering if any forum members could please share any hints or suggestions<br>

for composing accurately with the Mamiya 7ii 65mm lense. I realize its the nature of rangefinder<br>

photography and not looking through lense, but I am struggling with estimating how much more im actually capturing. <br>

Most of the work I have been shooting has been of city landscapes. On a regular basis I will have some telephone pole, tip of<br>

building, extra foreground, etc in the frame. I prefer not cropping and this is lack of accuracy is frusterating.<br>

Is there any trick to knowing how much more is recorded? I have had the camera for about two weeks and love everything<br>

about it accept for the composition issues. I find it great for environmental portraiture, where Im focused much closer (it seems a lot more accurate)..<br>

Any advice?<br>

Thank you,<br>

Nick</p>

<p>The Mamiya Universal manual suggests to use the outer frame of the viewfinder lines when objects are far and the inner when are near. I suppose the same happens with the 7. What do you do with your photos? I do scan them so some cropping at the edges is acceptable to me.</p>

<p>Hi Giovanni and Jean- Yves,<br>

I print my photographs full frame by hand. I think I will shoot a test on a tripod, where i shoot the rz 67 with the 65 and then mamiya 7 and compare the results...<br>

thanks guys!!<br>

nick</p>

<p>Nick - The Mam7 manual says that the frameline coverage at infinity is around 83% (ie on the neg you'll get 17% more than you bargained for); this rises to 100% at closest focussing distance. This should give you a starting point when estimating.<br>

You'll also need to build in some compensation for parallax as you focus closer also. The framelines move to help with this but they're probably not absolutely precise.</p>

<p>I put my Mamiya 7ii on a tripod aimed at a brick wall. Then, I outlined the four corners of what I saw in the viewfinder with masking tape on the brick wall. Upon processing the film, I had a better idea of what the camera yields compared to what the viewfinder shows. I did this for each lens that I own.</p>