Trip Advise - California

david_christoffersson

<p>I'm going to visit my brother in Santa Barbara now in May and we are planning a little round trip, so we're renting a car to drive Santa Barbara - San Fransisco - Yosemite National Park - Death Valley - Bakersfield (the oilfields Belridge McKittrick) - back to Santa Barbara.<br>

The issue is that both Yosemite and Death Valley are extremely big and we don't really now where to go. So my question is: Where should we go (in a photographers point of view)? (it should be farly easy access by car) And did we miss anything great on the way that you would recommend?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Keep in mind that crossing the Sierra Nevada mountains east-west is limited to a few passes, and these passes will, most likely, be closed in May because of snow. Check for local conditions of the Tioga Pass (California Route 120) and Sonora Pass (California Route 108) before driving.<br>

The drive on California Route 395 from Mammoth Lakes to Lone Pine is spectacular... try to include this on your trip if possible.<br>

Also, Las Vegas is about 4 hours drive from Death Valley. Even if you do not drink and gamble, Las Vegas is unique. Western decadence at it's best!</p>

<p>You don't mention how many days you have for this round trip, but the route you indicated is over 1,700 miles of driving. If you have less than 8 days, you might consider cutting out San Francisco from your trip--thereby reducing the driving by about 700 miles. Even 8 days only gives you 1 day each in San Fran, Yosemite and Death Valley. As for photography locations, check the used book stores on line for travel and photography books for the areas you want to visit. As mentioned in another post, you will most likely be limited to the valley floor in Yosemite due to snow. The valley loop has some great locations. The main road through Death Valley will also yield some good photography locations--don't plan to go off road in a rental car. <br>

Alternately, if you eliminate Death Valley, you could squeeze in the drive up Highway 1 to San Fran, which has some great ocean views. Even though this drive is only 325 miles, plan on it taking all day + as Hwy 1 is a narrow winding road and there will be many stops for photos. <br>

Have a great trip. </p>

<p>To be honest, I'd suggest going north up the coast to San Francisco, then to Yosemite then return to Santa Barbara, saving Death Valley for another trip. Tioga Pass is almost certain to be closed and the more northern passes may well be closed until you get to 50/80 in the Tahoe/Donner area (not that that's not a beautiful trip). Otherwise you'd need to go south to 58 again and then east over Tehachapi to get to Death Valley. </p>

<p>It's tough to get much photography in if you are on the road for so much distance. Although if one has geographic interests, the Taft/McKittrick/Carrizo Plain area is of interest (if not generally as spectacular as many other places).</p>

<p>In Yosemite you'll only be able to access the Valley by car, most likely, since this year's snowfall is unprecedented (for a while at least) and 120 will probably be closed at the time. If you're limiting yourself to places with driving access, i.e. -- no hiking, then Valley Waterfalls (bridal veil, yosemite, horse tail), Valley Walls (Halfdome, El Capitan, Cathedral), and Valley Vistas (Merced river, tunnel on 140) is what you can take pictures of.<br>

Good news -- you can spend a couple of days taking pictures of the above, and waterfalls should be great at the time!</p>

<p>I just returned from 4 days in Yosemite, and can confirm the high passes are closed and probably will stay that way for a few weeks. Lots of snow up in the high country at this point. I can also confirm that highway 1 up the coast is closed indefinitely, so be sure to check on whether that is open before heading up beyond San Simeon. </p>

<p>I'm in complete agreement with those above who suggest some moderation to that route. Just to get from Yosemite to Sacramento airport yesterday took 3+ hours - that's much of a good day already shot, and that's only a small chunk of the type of driving you are proposing.</p>

<p>I also just returned from Yosemite. The waterfalls are gushing and will continue to do so through May. The spring flowers are late and you may just catch them. I was told the pass through Yosemite Valley to 395 will be closed for a while, perhaps until July. So, what I would do is from Santa Barbara go to Yosemite first, then continue traveling up 99 and cut over to see Lake Tahoe. Absolutely beautiful this time of year. From there you can then come across Northern California to SF, perhaps stopping in Napa Valley and not missing Carmel/Big Sur, and then return to Santa Barbara. I too would skip Death Valley as that is way to far to drive for the payoff given what else you can do with your time. Enjoy your stay in our State.</p>

<p>If you should go north from Yosemite, I'd suggest 49 instead of 99. You can pick it up at mariposa or from the 120. The 120 east over Tioga is the section that's closed. CalTrans has a highway condition website which will give current data on any numbered highway and that might be handy if conditions change on either the coast, Highway 1 or over the passes. North (or returning south) 101 from the Bay area will be open around the 1/Big Sur closure(s). I-5 can be reached if you still want to catch Taft/McKittrick or you can go east from Santa Margarita or Santa Maria. 101 isn't as fast as 5 but somewhat more scenic and more little towns, etc., to break up the drive.</p>

<p>I'd also like to suggest skipping Death Valley unless you are into the heat... the forecast is for highs between 107 and 109 the next three days with consistent temps over 100 for the next ten days or so. Accommodations can be difficult to come by also. <br>

Like others said, Yosemite Valley and Wawona will be the only real accessible areas there. By all means head up Hwy 1 to San Simeon from SLO and don't miss the elephant seal beaches just north (not sure if they're still around though.) I'd hesitate to do the Hwy 1 trip from there to Big Sur as it can be nerve wracking to some degree especially when you're trying to do photography. From SS you can backtrack a little way to Hwy 46, through Cambria (funky little town) over the coastal range and then to Hwy 101, which is indeed easier, goes through Paso Robles (wine area) and close to Pinnacles Natl Monument which is worth seeing. From there it is easy to get over to Monterey Peninsula, Carmel, etc. <br>

At that point I'd probably head straight to Yosemite and skip SF/Bay Area where driving and parking can be a real hassle. Don't overschedule you driving "vacation". Flowers in Carrizzo Plain are probably already fried by now. There is an interesting "penny bar" in McKittrick.</p>

<p>Depending on jow many days you have I would be inclined to get across the Sierra and drive down the east side to Death Valley. The years vary a lot, but I recall that on my last trip to this area in 2006 I had to cross via Lake Tahoe and from what I've read there's a lot of show this year. If you have long enough to make it worthwhile, there's a lot of interesting stuff on the east of the Sierra including Mono Lake, the June Lake area, Crowley Lake and the views of the still snowy Sierras from a few miles away, and of course the Alabama Hills. Further south you get some pretty quirky desert stuff in and around Keeler and Randsburg, and of course Death Valley. </p>

<p>Careful on the Carrizzo area . You are lilkely to have missed the flowers and i did read recently of road closures due to mud. Look it up. </p>

<p>But pace is important if you want good photographs. What you describe would be a two week trip at least for me</p><div>00YgB1-355171584.jpg.63cfc1d367e2696e9a229e01876bfd31.jpg</div>