Low light photography

brooke_renee

<p>I currently own the Nikon D7000, what lenses would be best for dance photography (low light fast movement) I own the 50mm 1.4G but am looking for a zoom lens under $1000.00 with a 2.8F which will work with my D7000<br>

<hr>

Please follow up on essentially identical question here: <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Yema?unified_p=1">Dance Photography lenses</A>

<p>Are you looking to buy new or willing to get a used lens? Because there's not a lot of choice new under the price barrier you've set yourself. You really need to be looking at a lens in the 70 or 80 to 200mm range I would think, and they don't come cheap in an f/2.8 maximum aperture. You'll probably want a VR model as well.</p>

<p>Are you doing live performance shoots or promo material shot at dress-rehearsals? If mainly the latter, I would consider putting some of that money into flash (strobe) equipment and obviating the need for wide aperture glass.</p>

<p>brooke, this question is essentially the same as the one you just posted. except in that one, you said you had a d90. in any event, i listed a bunch of choices in that thread, so no need to repeat here. but Rodeo asks a good question, to which i would also wonder how close you will be to the performers and whether you are trying to focus on just one dancer or a group. that will likely make a difference in whether a wide zoom, i.e. 17-55, standard zoom, i.e. 24-70, or telephoto will be right for you. a standard zoom on DX is a very good length for live action in general, unless you know you need wider or longer.</p>

<p>do you need more reach than your 50 currently offers? if so, how much reach? and do you also need to sometimes shoot wide? if you can answer those questions, that can help narrow down what kind of 2.8 zoom you should be seeking. alternately, you may also want to consider something like an 85/1.4 if you are shooting in extreme low-light.</p>

<p>My answer on your previous post:<br>

I use the Sigma 50-150 (about $750 US) and D70s (now D300s) with very good results. On those cameras and the D90/D7000, it's like using a 75-225mm lens. I'll also use a monopod in lower light situations, like for the conductor of the philharmonic orchestra I shoot when I'm in the wings or behind the musicians. When I'm closer to the performers I use a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC (about $650 US), which is like a 25.5-75mm.</p>