Please help me find a VERY portable background for headshots

<p>Hello, <br>

I have recently gotten a job traveling around taking headshots of physicians. On average I have about fifteen minutes to get in, setup, do the shoot, and breakdown equipment. For the first shoot, I was told that there was a neutral colored background wall in the physician's office. When I got there, it turned out to be an awful shade of light green. The physician had platinum blonde hair, and the results were awful. Thanks to some friendly folks on this forum, I was able to replace the background digitally, but the results were still less than the level I am happy with. So, what I really need is something EXTREMELY portable. Ideally, something collapsable that flips open with the flick of my hand and is self supporting. I guess I could use a single stand if necessary, but would prefer not to. Colorwise, I guess black and blue would be the best for this purpose, although something with a 70's muslin-like patter would be acceptable. Some photographers suggested paint buckets with poles and clamps, but honestly even that is to time consuming, and not really professional looking. Any help would be appreciated. Price, within reason, is not really an issue. I could justify a few hundred for something nice. I have never used a greenscreen style background, and have heard mixed opinions, but if it is as easy as taking the picture, loading it onto my computer, picking a background, and done...that would be acceptable. However, I don't want to have to worry about hair color, wardrobe, etc messing with the background, and don't want to be left with having to submit the image with a green background. Let me know what you guys think. I really appreciate your help and thank you in advance. <br>

To those of you who responded to my previous post about these shoots, thank you for your critiques. Thankfully, the company was thrilled with the images and have given me more jobs to do. So, I want to make sure they are done right this time. I will make sure to turn down my excessive use of Portrait Professional. I had just gotten the software and was a little too excited to be using it. </p>

<p>You want a "collapsable background." They're spring loaded, like reflectors. Open the bag, pull it out, flick your wrist and there it is. You could lean it against a wall or attach it to a standard background stand in a minute. Breakdown's just as simple once you get the hang of the "push-hn-twist" motion needed to get the background back into the bag.</p>

<p>They come in solid colors, standard background patterns, scenics, in various sizes and are available with or without a floor skirt, which you'd want for full-length shots. There are even two-sided options giving you two background options in one.</p>

<p>Brands include Botero, Impact, interfit, Lastolite, Savage & Westcott. Many are under $100.00.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I did pretty much the same job. Lit with an SB900 on an old Mamiya RB pistol style grip in a small umbrella box (which I held in my left hand, no light stand, and the camera in my right hand). I had my client (who was wrangling the docs for me, all over the hospital) just hold the silver side of a 36 inch silver/white pop up reflector a couple of feet behind their heads.</p>

<p>We made the portraits in hallways, offices, on patient wards, in supply rooms. I hand held, sync'd with PW and never took more than 20 seconds with any one doc.</p>

<p>The biggest problem I had was my client/assistant was only about 5'2" and she had to really reach to get it behind some of the taller docs, which just added some brevity to each situation. If you work alone, I'll bet a roll of gaffer tape would do for an assistant... t</p><div>00YeEC-353173584.jpg.b5b7964114ca7c9d45e2ec0314d1e772.jpg</div>

<p>Collapsible backgrounds are good but depending where you set them up you might still need something to support it. You might also want to check out the Photek People Popper. It's a backdrop about 6x7 feet available in a variety of colors. Comes with single lightstand that supports an upper crossbar that supports the backdrop and a lower crossbar that keeps the background straight. Also comes with a carrying bag. Takes five minutes to set up. Blue or gray background would be good, and various earth tones are also available. I would stay away from black -- too extreme and dark -- hair will disappear into it unless you use a hair light.</p>