Getting a first "second shooter" gig

david.wagle

<p>Guys,</p>

<p>How did you go about getting started? I'm absolutely not interested in just jumping into shooting weddings. I'm not even sure that shooting weddings is the type of photography that I really want to do. I do want experience it though as a second or third shooter to see if it's something that attracts me.</p>

<p>I know how to handle a camera, I have high quality gear, a back-up body, lighting, and a good attitude. I get that as a second (or third) shooter I'm going to be doing a lot more 'step and fetch it' work than using a camera, and I'm perfectly ok with that. What I don't know is how to find a job as a second shooter to begin with -- let alone how to make sure I'm working with the kind of photographer I want to associate myself with.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from the craigslist crowd. Not because I have a problem with 'low budget,' but because I don't want to pick up bad habits. I want to see this world from the perspective of a professional, not from the fly-by-night side of the house. So how do I find someone who is willing to take on a 40 something johnny come lately?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Peruse the Wedding Photo Assistants section of this forum. Find the Archives on the main page of the Wedding Forum, to the right in a drop down menu heading. Here is one.</p>

<p><a href="00XPzy">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00XPzy</a></p>

<p>By the way, you usually start out as Assistant, not second shooter right away. And you have to work very hard, and keep trying to make contact with the professionals you've targeted as the ones you want to work for. You have to stand out, and I've always said that one way to do so is to NOT start out saying you want to second shoot for x pro because you want to learn wedding photography so you can go out and open your own business. You'd be surprised the number of people who actually say that. Instead, say how hard working, humble and loyal you are.</p>

<p>You have to present yourself as a value added to their business.<br>

The most you have is about 3 minutes and you need to nail it in the first 30 seconds, perhaps only ten.<br>

Face to face is best.<br>

You have to understand that “NO” is not personal.<br>

RE: points one and two I suggest a lot of practice before going live.</p>

<p>In answer to your first question - Whilst I was at Technical College, I got a job as an Assistant to the Principal of a Wedding Studio; the second week one of the Photographers didn't turn up and I shot the Wedding. At the same time I was shooting on speculation for local newspapers any spare weekend (mainly sport), doing Santa Photos at Christmas time, Shooting Shopping Centre Promos on Spec and anything else which came along – including doing B&W Custom Printing.</p>

<p>I would argue that most astute businesses would perceive one without experience, as more valuable to their cause, if you were doing a few “Photography Things”, during the week and not an Accountant M to F (for example), who pulls out his camera on Saturday – but also does no “Photography Things” which would be in conflict with their business, directly.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>You seem to have the right idea here. It doesn't hurt to find photographers whose work you like and ask them if they need help. We're actually looking to have second shooter help for next year. Feel free to shoot us an email. You can check out our site here - www.m2-photography.net.</p>