Help with choosing a tripod and head.

mikkel_gade2

<p>Hello,<br>

I need some help in choosing a tripod, head and whatever else is needed in the setup. I would like to take the whole setup with me when trekking so weight is a concern. Just to give you an idea I have been looking at the Gitzo Mountaineer series and perhaps the Arca-Swiss ballhead, but I'm completely new to this kind of equipment. I should also say that I'm using a Nikon D90 and no heavy zooms - although I'm planning on getting a 200mm at some point. As for how much i would spend, not really sure but below $1000 would be good.</p>

<p>I hope you can help and guide me in the right direction, thanks.</p>

<p>Mikkel</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have been looking at the Gitzo Mountaineer series and perhaps the Arca-Swiss ballhead</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which series (0,1,2,3) of the Mountaineers? Unless it's 3, I'd consider "the" Arca Swiss ballhead (I assume you mean the Z1) as an overkill. And a 3-Series Mountaineer with a Z1 would be exactly something I'd like to carry when trekking.<br>

Personally, I'd be looking at the Induro CT 213 or 214 (or if you want better stability with a 4 section tripod, the CT314). Cheaper alternatives would be their aluminum tripods (AT 213 or 214); for the 2 series, they are only about 1 pound heavier. A Feisol would be an alternative.<br>

Hard to beat the Acratech ballheads when it comes to light weight and stability. <br>

Certainly an Arca Swiss type QR clamp and possibly a RRS or Kirk camera-specific L-plate.</p>

<p>I was looking at the G1128 Mk2, but I'm not set to a specific brand or model number. The Induro looks good too.</p>

<p>Which Feisol would you recommend?</p>

<p>I like the Markins, how does that compare with the Z1?</p>

<p>So, I need the legs, ballhead and a camera plate - then I'm set?</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations. :)</p>

<p>contact Kerry at reallybigcameras.com for your Feisol needs/questions. He's great to deal with.</p>

<p>I have the Feisol 3442 legs, Markins M10 (w/ RRS lever clamp) and Acratech leveling base and the whole thing weighs in at 4lbs. (!!!). The setup I'm suggesting will get you lower than that. You may be able to get away w/ a smaller set of legs and of course, the leveling base is optional. </p>

<p>The Acratech heads are fairly polarizing. People either love 'em or hate 'em but they ARE very light.</p>

<p>Without detracting from the value of the suggestions made already by people who also trek, the choice of a tripod/head is a pretty personal issue.</p>

<p>How tall are YOU? Would you rather bend over all the time to shoot, or carry more weight?<br /> How big and strong are YOU? How much are you willing and able to carry?<br /> How far do you go on these 'treks'? - The Appalachian Trail, or a 3-mile hike from the parking lot?<br /> Have you considered a monopod as an alternative? If a 200mm is as far as you are going, someday, this might serve as well.</p>

<p>There are lots of good choices in your price range, so take your time and look at all the variables. If there are places where you can actually see and handle the things, it would be wonderful to see how convenient you find different kinds of releases, and other technical details.</p>

<p>JDM, thank you. I was just about to write that I totally missed saying anything about my height. I'm 1.84 cm (6 feet) tall.</p>

<p>I would say that I would like to take it for a weekend trek, nothing too major.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I don't think there are too many places around me that carry this kind of gear, but I will look into it. I much prefer to see/touch the gear first too before buying.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've been looking all day and this is one combination I've come up with, but I'm still a little unsure whether this all fits together.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if the Markins comes without the QR if not I would buy the QR system and plate from them too instead of the RSS.</p>

<p>Gitzo GT1541 or the Induro CT213<br>

Markins Q3, perhaps the Arca-Swiss Z1 but think it may be too much?<br>

RSS B2 LR II<br>

RSS L-plate for D90</p>

<p>Does this look okay, does it all fit?</p>

<p>Thanks again.<br>

Mikkel</p>

<p>Yes, sometimes there's no alternative to buying blind, but even looking at other makes/models with different features can be helpful: lever lock vs. twist, ball head or two-way or whatever, you know what I mean.<br>

For example, I would be frustrated today trying to use the old twist locks that I started out with on QuickSet tripods waaay back.<br>

I personally really prefer not bending over to the extent that I am willing to tote more weight. Often I carry nothing at all and use bean bags and trees or some such. I really prefer a monopod with my 500 and 600mm mirror telephoto lenses and just bought a Manfrotto 393 gimbal head that will fit on a tripod, but is made for monopod use. It's all too heavy for a weekend trip unless you are staying in a base camp and ranging out for the day.</p>

<p>JDM I agree, it's not easy buying blind - I'll have a look around see what is in the shops.</p>

<p>I guess I'm looking to go as light as possible without sacrificing sturdiness and I also don't want to pay a premium for ultralight gear.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help.</p>

<p>Mikkel, I am curious about your choices. The Induro-equivalent to the 1541 would be the 114 not the 213 (you are comparing a lighter 4-section tripod with a heavier and sturdier 3-section one). Having been to a store just this week to select a tripod for a friend, we ended up with the Induro CT213 as the top choice; we compared to several Gitzo tripods and frankly could not detect an advantage with the Gitzos that would justify their much higher price point. <br>

The Q3T (or the Emilie) would be a good choice with the CT213 - I don't know if you can get it without the Markins QR clamp though (which should be fine anyway). You could also opt for the RRS BH-40 ballhead with the LR II clamp; cost together is $390. IMO, the Z1 is too large for the legs you are considering.<br>

As mentioned above, selecting a tripod is a personal affair - so take the above as mere suggestions. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dieter, you are absolutely right. I just looked at the 213 instead as that was recommended. I'll have a look at your suggestion. I'll disregard the Z1, it seems you are not the only one in thinking it's too much.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the suggestions! :)</p>

<p>I'd also recommend the Feisol for your height, they do seem to make tripods that are suitable for taller people. Benro make the Induro line and you can get Benros relatively cheaply direct from China on eBay. I use both the Markins Q3T and Arca-Swiss Z1 and the Z1 is overkill, get the Q3T.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>About a year ago I was asking similar questions wrt my Canon5d/5Dii and lenses to 70-200.</p>

<p>I asked directly whether anyone had or knew of any evidence to indicate that Gitzo tripods performed better (ie sharper pictures through better stability) than cheaper CF tripods such as those from Benro, Feisol and Manfrotto. The silence was deafening. </p>

<p>I ended up with a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 ( I much prefer lever locks than screw locks) and a RRS ballhead , lever-clamp QR system ( again I much prefer lever action to a screw action clamp) and RRS L and camera plates. So far, after a few thousand exposures I'm pretty happy with my choices.</p>