Panasonic lx5 and polariser - experiences

joel_p

<p>Hi, like many here before, I have contemplated between lx5 and s95 for a point and shoot camera. My decision towards the lx5 is mostly about extra 4mm on the wide angle, but also due to ability to include a polarizer. Does anyone have any experiences with using a polarizer with the lx5 (either Panasonic branded (expensive at $90) or third party? Any insights would be appreciated.<br>

Cheers,<br>

joel</p>

<p>A polariser does what a polariser does and that is cut the light which is polarised in one direction which can darken blue skies and reduce reflections from water, metal, and other reflective surfaces. You have to adjust it to see the result you will get by rotating its front ring which holds the actual filter. As to if you will notice the difference between a cheap one and expensive one depends you. You can hold a polariser in front of any camera, as I did before I organised a filter mount for my Nikon bridge camera way back, It is possible that you could secure [glue?] a step-up ring on the front of the S95's lens mount to carry a filter, but nothing heavier. </p>

<p>thanks JC. I am familiar with the general workings of a polariser, just not on the lx5 (which goes on via an adapter). Any feedback on quality of results on the lx5 would be appreciated. Also wanted to know why the panasonic one is so expensive (90 bucks for a 52mm thread filter- that's more an a multicoated B&W!))</p>

• 2 weeks later...