Where to walk?

coral_bristow

<p>I just shot my wedding and looking back at the pics I wish I had gotten a little closer and different angles to see the bride and grooms faces during the ceremony. I did get closer at one point but was too afraid I was distracting the guests. Where do you walk and how close do you get? I used a 250mm lense so I wasn't right up in there faces by any means, but I was afraid to get too far behind the pastor to get shots from that angle. Just want to know for next time :)</p>

<p>Coral -</p>

<p>You scout the location in advance - determining shooting spots and alternatives. Always have an alternative - in case someone else is in your "prime" spot - or in case the officiant or couple tells you that you can't / shouldn't be there...</p>

<p>As for walking around during the ceremony - I keep my motion to a minimal amount - Sometimes the Officiant will tell you - stand here for this - and then when you are done - go to point x and stay there. General rule of thumb - stay off of the alter. (although I have seen photographers on the alter with the couple and officiant.</p>

<p>I tend to wear shoes that have softer soles - so I don't make a ton of noise. I also take everything - key's memory cards, etc out of pocket...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I walk where the officiant tells me I can walk. If he tells me I can walk where I want, I do. However, I avoid getting directly behind the couple so guest see me, and I avoid getting really close to them (not closer than about 8 feet), unless invited to (it happens) or it is really the only alternative AND the officient hasn't specified I can't.</p>

<p>Because it needs to be said, be sure you know where the officiant wants you to go, and where you're not allowed to go, and observe those restrictions carefully.</p>

<p>Aside from that, I tend to dress in colors that help me to avoid drawing attention to myself (in most churches and darker venues, black is a good choice; on a beach, a sand-colored suit might work better). Then, I make the most of whatever freedom the officiant allows; I do this mainly by moving as smoothly as I can. Sudden or rapid motions draw more attention than steady and gradual ones. Walking smoothly, head down, with purpose, quickly becomes expected behavior and people stop paying attention to me within two minutes, if they notice me at all.</p>

<p>I've found it is usually just fine to get around behind the couple if there's some distance available -- if there's only a five or ten-foot clearance back there, then I'd be in their personal space, but if I've got 20 feet, no one will notice. </p>

<p>I also avoid waving my arms, making Godzilla sounds, snorting fire, and shooting laser beams out of my eyes. These appear to be unpopular behaviors for photographers, at least according to the most recent bridal surveys.</p>

Don't get hung up on lenses. Often photographers have to be behind the back seats. You can do all sorts of shots, from a fish eye to renting a 400mm lens. Be creative, look for really interesting subjects such as a flower girl playing with her doll or running around. Look for weird angles and assorted lenses to create a look. I've gotten more use out of a fish eye than a 400mm.

It's been a long time since I brought out some of the big guns; 400 to 500mm lenses at a wedding.

However I really like the 70-200mm lens for outside portraits.

<p>As stated earlier, please contact the officiant first to get the ground rules for the church. At a recent wedding at a Catholic church I received a two page document listing dos and don'ts from the Pastor. To further eliminate any questions I arranged to meet the Pastor at the church so that he could tell me where I could stand and where I could not. In addition since this is Catholic ceremony, I wanted to know the schedule of events during the ceremony. I would try to change my position during the breaks in the ceremony. I do believe you should try to get tight shots of the bride and groom with a telephoto lens that you are most comfortable using as well as expansive shots of the entire church with a super wide lenses. Relax. Remember you are there for the bride and groom. Have fun.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also avoid waving my arms, making Godzilla sounds, snorting fire, and shooting laser beams out of my eyes. These appear to be unpopular behaviors for photographers, at least according to the most recent bridal surveys.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that sort of behaviour is reserved for the bride's mother.</p>

<p>I sort of have the same question for my first one coming up (see old thread http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00YEFl?start=0). Although I don't have any particular restrictions in place which in some ways makes it harder! I will, however, choose not to go within 4-5 or so metres of the b&g, not use flash during the ceremony, and not go behind them.<br>

I was considering just sitting tight about 3-4 rows back on an aisle seat because I don't really want to get in the way - I can slide out into the aisle for any shots I need. Or should I be considering moving down the centre aisle and around the sides to get some shots from the sides and maybe some from the back? ie. is there something great that i'm missing by not shifting from there?</p>

<p>If the venue and clients are not restricting your movement, then you may as well take appropriate advantage of the freedom. Most attendees expect a photographer to move around respectfully during a ceremony, and if you don't make eye contact with them for a while, they begin to ignore you, too. </p>

<p>We're sometimes restricted to an aisle seat, but that's not optimal for capturing key moments such as faces of the couple during the exchange of vows. If you're allowed to move, there are good reasons for doing so.</p>

<p>If you can use flash during the ceremony, you may be surprised to learn that it can be relatively unobtrusive. At typical weddings (at least in the US), many guests will bring cameras and use flashes throughout the ceremony, so yours may blend in with the crowd. I'd have two concerns: avoiding flash when my flash was pointed at the guests (e.g., if I were shooting from behind the couple or shooting guests observing the ceremony), and avoiding flash + rapid fire shooting, which is irritating to just about everyone.</p>

<p>At the very least, I'd be prepared to use flash during the processional and recessional. Catching usable images of people walking (no matter how slowly) is a lot easier with flash than without. </p>

<p>Yes I am intending to use flash during the processional and recessional.</p>

<p>During the ceremony I wasn't going to but I guess I could add a little bit of fill flash if needed to remove racoon eyes.</p>

<p>But when taking photos say during the exchange of vows:<br>

-I presume I shoot from the opposite side of the person talking, so I get more of the face of the person saying their vow?<br>

-Thinking back to the weddings I've been to the vows don't take very long, and there's not much of a gap between them, I don't think I could move from one side to the other by going around the back of the crowd, I wouldn't have enough time - I would have to cross in front of the front row. I'm not sure I like the idea, but that is done commonly?</p>

<p>There is no 'commonly' when it comes to photos of the vows. If I am allowed to move wherever I wanted, I am still careful about crossing in front of parents seated in the first rows and behind the couple/minister during the ceremony. I avoid it if possible, along with the machine gunning and flashing toward guests' eyes that Ian mentioned.</p>

<p>However, you must use your judgement in these situations. The configuration of the altar in relation to the pews, and the space between same, make a big difference. Also, the solemnity of the ceremony and the sequence of the ceremony. This is why it is a good idea to go to the rehearsal, if in doubt.</p>

<p>Otherwise, you just gotta use your judgement. If you think you won't have time to move to the spots you want, don't. Then re-create later. I have found that the elapsed time between actual vows to re-created vows is not so much to dampen those same emotions that emerged to begin with. Some couples also write their own vows, which can be longer than the typical ones. You may have the time to move around the back of the pews. That's another aspect--size of the church, where the breaks in pews are--sometimes you can sneak through a pew space if there aren't a lot of people. Some churches have columns, which are great for skulking behind.</p>

<p>Some officiants and church wedding celebrations are also not at all solemn. Some churches consider weddings a time for joyous celebration rather than sacred--so flashes, standing close, walking around--it's all good. Use your judgement.</p>