Yes, it's another tripod question.

jack_sein

<p>Hello everyone, sorry to bother you with another tripod question, but I was hoping I could get some advice. </p>

<p>I'm currently in the market for a new tripod and I'm completely lost with the vast amount of choices I have to choose from. I'm not sure what's good, what isn't, ect. I always hear it's just best to bite the bullet and get a decent tripod, so I want to make sure I get a good one and don't end up buying some piece of garbage. So here's where the excellent members of Pnet come in. I have a few requirements that I'd like to meet, but first off lets start off with my budget. I have about $400-500 to spend, depending on how much that extra $100 will get me.</p>

<p>Now for the requirements:</p>

<p>- Be able to get very low to the ground, much like this one does.<br>

http://www.digiscoped.com/2005/Gitzo1548low.jpg</p>

<p>- I'm a tall guy, so I can't have something where I have to bend over like a hobbit and break my back every time I use it, so preferably something decently tall without all the legs fully extended.</p>

<p>- Must be a ball head with a quick release plate and be able to support a 70-200 f/4 no problem, as that's my biggest lens at the current time. It being able to support more is a added bonus, because who knows I may add some bigger glass in the future.</p>

<p>- I can't be lugging around a massive tripod, so not something insanely heavy that after using it for a while I look like popeye. It can be of decent weight, just not too crazy.</p>

<p>- General quality of the legs and head. I want something good that I'm not going to have to replace a year or two from now because I'm not satisfied with it. My current issue with my tripod at the moment is it doesn't always feel the most stable and the pan and tilt head especially feels unstable and creeps after composing as well.</p>

<p>- This tripod will be used 95% of the time for landscapes. So keep that in mind.</p>

<p>Hopefully I've answered all the questions that are necessary for finding a tripod that will fit my needs, but if not feel free to ask me what I've missed.</p>

<p>Thank you in adavace<br>

Jack</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Spencer: I am fascinated by the Manfrotto Neotec 458B. It has quick setup legs. Changing leg lengths is one of the big nuisances of tripod use. Sometimes the preferred camera height changes for every shot. With this tripod you pull the leg down and it automatically locks in position. I intend to get one next week, even though I already have 4 tripods. It goes down to 4 inches & holds 18 lbs.</p>

<p>Didn't even realize my friend had logged me out and gotten onto his own account, I should probably of noticed that before I post ha. Thanks for the suggestion Eoin. I'll check that out. I'm worried it wont leave me enough for a decent ball head though.</p>

<p>I'd agree with Eoin. For a decent ballhead and legset in that price range, you're probably looking at an aluminum Manfrotto legset (check out the 190 and 055 series) and one of their ballheads (486 or 488 series). I've used both of these, and they are sturdy, reliable pieces of equipment in your price range.<br>

If you wanted to upgrade either aspect of that system, I personally would first look at getting a ballhead that uses the Arca-swiss style quick release system. I find it to be faster, less finicky, and lighter weight than the Manfrotto quick release system. I use an Acratech Ultimate ballhead and love it. The Really Right Stuff BH-40 is also well liked. </p>

<p>The Neotec is horrible, I tried it out last weekend, very disappointing after using a 058B, now there is a very well thought out tripod, why oh why didn't they make levers that didn't break though? The 057 is a worthy replacement but at over twice the cost not on my list for upgrades for a while.</p>

<p>Jack, I can't recommend the Manfotto 055XPROB enough. As for heads I haven't used any of theirs but you can get good deals if you buy a kit. One of the advantages of the XPROB is that it can go to ground level as per your linked image, but it also has a center column to give you that extra height when you need it. The horizontal setting for the column can come in handy for all kinds of work though, not just macro and copying.</p>

<p>There are many good trpods to choose from. You can not go wrong with almost any of the Manfrotto. The one I have is no longer available but I can not kill it and it has been on many adventures with me. A WN3221. It is aluminum, foam leg covers, black, retractable spiked legs, extends high enough for my 6'2" frame. There is nothing wrong with aluminum. Equipment envy will suggest that you need to spend twice as much for carbon fiber...not so. I replaced the ballhead last year with what I think is a great bargain. The Vanguard BH250. for $95 with 2 QR plates. Strong, solid, steady. I used it with a camera, with battery grip and 400mm lens.</p>