Eye-Fi

phil_burt

<p>I hope that this isn't a rumor so if it is please delete.<br>

I read "somewhere" (wish I had kept where) on the web that Eye-Fi would be reducing the cost of there Pro X2 8GB model from $149 to $99 late in April. This would be a decent reduction.<br>

But, my question is this, are these sd cards that transmit directly from your camera to many different devices a gimmack or worth it.<br>

I take a lot of portraiture at out Church and often get home only to find out what I looked at on the little screen looks a lot different when I see it on a larger one. Some of these times I wish I had seen it large right away so I could do another shot and get it right in the camera with out having to spend more time in PS. I doubt that it matters what camera I shoot with but just in case I have a Nikon D90.<br>

Any opinion on these?<br>

Thank you in advance for your time and comments should you have any.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Assuming you have a iPad or Android device handy at all times - then yes - they are a good deal - it eliminates the need for cables / tethering and would allow you or someone else to view photos as you shoot. </p>

<p>It looks like the newer versions will create a wi-fi network themselves - which is an improvement over the older versions. The older versions required a wi-fi network to be present in order to work. </p>

<p>My only question would be about the range of these - since they are so small - I'm guessing that it may be somewhat limited. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Tethering, either via USB cable or RF, is pretty well obsolete. Get a relatively low cost HDMI (or DVI with HDMI adapter) and plug a small monitor into the D90. Your review images come up instantly, instead of waiting for something to tether.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The older versions required awi-fi network to be present in order to work.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's due mainly to RF power and antenna capabilities. A Wifi is very low power and has an antenna that's very low gain. An iPad or Android phone is only a bit better. An actual router has a bigger antenna and a lot more RF power, so it's better able to listen to the tiny signals of a WiFi or iPod and relay to the other device with powerful signals from a decent antenna.</p>

<p>So, while the new version may be able to "establish" a network connection directly to another device, unless that device has a lot of power and a decent antenna, it's not going to work well.</p>

Quick question for those who might know. I am hearing the pro version firmware upgrade will allow the same wireless tethering as the

newly released Connect X2. My question is, could you set this up to have the RAW files wirelessly transferred to a PC and the JPG

files transferred to an iPad? Appreciate any thoughts. This product is looking more and more interesting now that I have an IPad.

Thanks,

Paul