Adding texture layer in PS E9

<p>Hi, I've searched Lynda.com (subscriber) and the archives here on Pnet (most recent result dated 2009) in the hopes of finding a way to overlay an image devoid of sky detail onto a texture image, (much like one would have created a double exposure in the days of film, either in camera or darkroom) using elements 9. I'm not even sure if it's possible, hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction. I'd prefer not to use selection/masking if possible as I want the subject to retain some of the background toning, without the appearance of having been cut and pasted on top of something else. I also have the Topaz bundle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can provide images, if necessary.</p>

<p>Randall</p>

<p>If I understand right, you want to apply a texture on your image and you want the image to retain some of the texture (for example the texture would be visible in the sky but not too much on other parts of the picture).<br>

If this is your goal, this can be done easily in Elements 9: open both your image and the texture image, then drag this texture on top of your image and set the blending mode of the texture layer to linear burn. Adjust opacity to taste. Add a mask to the texture layer and paint with a soft brush on this mask using black color (at 100% brush opacity or less) to erase the texture on some parts of image.<br>

If I had your images, I could make a short tutorial for you to show how to do all the above steps.</p>

<p>Jack, thank you. This sounds exactly like what I'm hopig to accomplish. I didn't realize I could open two images at once in the same workspace.<br>

I appreciate the offer, I'm at work and my images are home, so posting them will have to wait until later on tonite.<br>

Let me see if I have the jist of this:<br>

1. Open both images, create layers for each.<br>

2. Drag the layer from the texture image on top of the layer for the background image.<br>

3. Set blending mode to linear burn, adjust opacity for effect. <br>

4. Add a black mask to the texture layer, paint in desired areas with soft brush.<br>

5. When satisfied, flatten layers and save?<br>

I appreciate your helping me out with what might seem like something basic, unfortunately I havn't had much in the way of training (or time) with these programs. Thank you.</p>

<p>Randall</p>

<p>Here are some important details:<br>

1- Open the base image and the texture image. You don't have to create any layer here. Check if both images have the same size: if not, resize the texture.<br>

2- Click on the 'arrange' icon (the last icon in the top bar) to split the workspace to make both images visible. Select the move tool and click on the texture image and drag it on the base image (press the Ctrl key so the 2 images will be automatically aligned). Go back to the 'arrange' icon to have only one image visible. You now have 2 layers: the backgroung layer and the texture layer above.<br>

3- OK<br>

4- Add a mask to the texture layer: this mask is white (default). This mask has no effect for now. Click on this mask to select it and check if the foreground color is black; then paint with a soft brush to erase texture on any part of the picture (remember this: black hides and white reveals).<br>

If you pefer. you can invert the mask to make it black (ctrl+i) and paint with white to reveal the texture on any part of the picture.<br>

5-OK</p>

<p>Jack, thanks again for your help. I played with this for a few minutes, It's heading where I want it to go but think I will try different renderings on the hawk image. <br>

Will post the finished as well as the two components, open to technical (original of the hawk is a touch soft) and artistic suggestions. </p>

<p>Randall</p><div>00YZO2-348425684.jpg.39cd8fdd67a1b937f0db55dd2548da6b.jpg</div>

<p>Well, after working on this for over 4 hours (combined)-all I can say is that I feel like I'm trying to do fine sketch work with permanent markers and flourescent spray paint. It makes one realise just how talented some folks really are with their manipulation techniques. </p>

<p>A pretty nice work Randall. Here is a very useful trick to control the brush size when you have to do some painting over many parts of the image:<br>

Select the brush tool. Hold on the <strong>right mouse button and the Alt key</strong>. Move the mouse to the right to increase brush size and to the left to decrease the size. I love this trick. And it works also with other tools such as the clone tool, spot healing brush, eraser tool, smuge, blur or sharpen toll.</p>