Aluminum vs. Carbon Giottos Tripod

victorwei

<p>I am currently using an older (about 15 yr old) Manfrotto 190 video tripod which is quite heavy for long hikes. So I am now planning to replace it with a lighter one. After a bit of research, I have nailed my choices down to <strong>Giottos</strong> between either <strong>MTL9351B</strong> (aluminum) at $149 or <strong>MTL8351B</strong> (carbon) at $260. The weight difference between the two is only 0.3 kg. Is it worth the premium to go for the carbon? My heaviest gear is Nikon D90 and Sigma 120-400mm tele, well under the max. load of both models. Any advice or experience with either tripod would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>As a general rule, carbon-fiber tripods are valued not only for their light weight, but the fact that the nature of well-engineered carbon fiber also dampens vibration more effectively than metal. I mention "well-engineered" because cheaper designs, that pay less attention to how the material is wrapped and woven, don't exhibit this advantage.</p>

<p>I'll throw mine in....Go for the carbon, but get the MTL8261B without the pivoting center column instead of the 8351.</p>

<p>You give up the horizontal column (which your current gear doesn't have, so you're really not "giving up" anything), but you get bigger diameter legs that will resist flexing and dampen vibrations better. You also get a more rigid connection between the center column and the legs. Your gear may be within the load capacity of the smaller legs, but a 400mm lens needs a rigid platform.</p>

<p>BTW, how much does your head weigh? That needs to be counted in the load being placed on the legs. Advice I've seen, and followed, says to get legs that claim to support twice the weight you plan to put on them.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the helpful input above, everyone.<br>

Jeff, yes, the main reason I chose these two models is for the tilting column as I find my current set up - Manfrotto 190/486 ball head - difficult for low near-ground level shooting. I expect the tilting column will provide me with more flexibility and ease.<br>

Walt, the 486 head weighs just under 0.5kg which is not a significant factor for max. load. Your suggestion to go for a larger diameter leg tripod for stability with larger teles sure has some merit. Any suggestion for a tilting column for the MTL8261B?</p>