AE Power Winder FN: strange behavior

andreas_thaler1

<p>I got a power winder which only works when you hold it horizontally or headfirst attached on the New F-1. If you hold it normally it immediately refuses transporting the film and winding up the shutter. Firing the shutter by using the winder shutter buttons works in every position. Hitting the winder more or less gently solved the problem for some time but after another knock same situation as before.<br /> I think something inside loses connection. Any idea how to fix this as a layman?</p>

<p>Have you tried opening it up?</p>

<p>Recently I got a used winder, A-2 (?). I just wouldn't run. I opened it up, cleaned off the corrosion from its battery chamber (baking soda solution, ear buds, some tooth pics and small screw driver to scrape stuff off worked wonders). It solved the problem partially, the motor was sort of being clogged some place. Turns out its contacts were wet with the battery leakage fluid. Dipped that end of the winder in baking soda solution for several minutes while shaking it a bit, followed by several dips in distilled water for cleaning away the soda particles and left to dry for a couple of days. I avoided dipping the end of the motor in the fluids though, for fear of letting baking soda particles seep inside which would be difficult to get out. Works like a charm now. I can get between 19 to 20 frames in 10 seconds. I think it is rated as 2 frames per second in continuous shooting mode.</p>

<p>I would give disassembling it a try and see if there some obvious loose connection problem.</p>