Missing the sound of the shutter

roman_thorn1

<p>This is not so much a debate but rather a question and maybe topic that might bare some discussion? So after a few years of relegating myself to taking images via smart phone, I am now sorely missing the thrill of photography and looking to re-invest. I say 're-invest' because I left the craft or industry for lack of a better word for a steady 9-5 income. Truth is, my equipment never really cost me a dime. I always made my money picking up gigs, more than enough to finance my passion anyway. So why did i sell you ask? Well between a 40+hr work week and shooting events in my off time, (which I didn't much enjoy...weddings), not to mention family responsibilities and obligations, I rarely if ever found time to just shoot for me:( Fast forward to now, and I am finding myself more often than not regretting my decision to sell. Well, not really I suppose. At the time, I think it was the right call. Anyway, with that out of the way, I am looking to take the plunge again and not look back. My goal is to still supplement my income through photography. I have some great ideas, but this time it will be on my terms. So let me just say, my interest lie in landscape, nature, Architecture, still life, street and dogs. I'm considering investing into two systems: canon FF and Fuji x. Honestly, I'm a little concerned with where and how fast the mirrorless movement is going. That is, I'm concerned with obsolescence. What will happen to The DSLR, or better yet the costly lenses I plan to throw money on. I suppose I can't fret about the future. The here and now is what should concern me the most. Currently canon has the tools I need to best exploit my photographic vision and so go for it...right? Yikes! Anyway here is my equipment choice which best suits my needs...I think:<br>

Canon: 6D maybe 5D iii<br>

17mm TS e<br>

135mm f2<br>

180mm macro<br>

Fuji Xe 2:<br>

14mm f2.8<br>

23mm f1.4<br>

60mm f2.4<br>

Okay, like I said, this is not so much of a debate as it is a discussion. For all intense purposes, I would really appreciate your input...cheers!</p>

I just got the 5D III about a week ago, and I absolutely love it. BH Photo is still doing a fantastic deal (put it in cart to see their price), and

free next day shipping today!

For the still stuff, the 6D would likely serve you well, but for dogs, especially moving/running, you'd be better off with the amazing AF on

the 5D III. I'd also consider looking at a lens or two to fill the gap between the 17mm and the 135mm, like an 85mm 1.8, or the 1.2 if you

have money to burn. I've also read that some people like the 40mm pancake for street photos.

I got the camera packaged with the 24-105, which was a no-brainer decision given how little they're charging for the lens when it's

packaged together with the camera.

And honestly, for people like those of us here who really care about making good images, I believe that DSLRs aren't going to disappear

anytime soon. Prices may increase as fewer people get into serious photography, but for those of us who love it, we'll likely keep opening

our wallets for the love of it.

<p>I doubt DSLR's are going anywhere either. Mirrorless just doesn't make for a lot of people. I'd go with full frame and if I were shooting Canon which I don't I'd go for the 5DIII hands down. Lenses that work for me are a 20, 28, 50, an 80-200 and a 300 which you may not find much use for. Plus there is only so much you can haul around.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>Are you actually contemplating having nothing at all between 17mm and 135mm?</p>

<p>In your situation I'd suggest renting the Fuji to see how you like it. It sounds like you've had experience with SLRs; the 6D or 5D3 will handle like one of those.</p>

<p>I've seen some reports that the Sony A7R is pretty amazing, so that might be worth a look too.</p>

<p>Why spend all that money? A Canon top Rebel series camera with the 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses will do what you want for a fraction of the costs. Even less second-hand. If money is tight, don't waste it on fancy camera gear. Today, the lower end gear is amazingly good.</p>

<p>I've shot a lot of film and a smaller number of digital SLR bodies, and lack of the sound of the "shutter" is the least of my worries. Usually the mirror and the shutter together make plenty of noise, usually too much in fact.<br>

There's no <em>need</em> to go "mirrorless", and in fact, my personal reading of the present technology is that there's little "reason" to do so.<br>

Someday, but not just yet, I think.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There's no <em>need</em> to go "mirrorless", and in fact, my personal reading of the present technology is that there's little "reason" to do so.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah dunno, maybe you want a tiny camera with interchangeable lenses or just enjoy using different cameras? I have a Pen and Lumix M4/3 and they make a great complement to my 6D and 5D MKII. The Pen never leaves my messenger bag so I have a decent camera with me 24/7. It basically replaced my iPhone and S90 for casual duties. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>"intense purposes" sound like an unusual topic... ;-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't know; getting the bill for all of this would be pretty intense.</p>

<p>I agree with Alan: I have a hard time imagining laying out over $7,000 for SLR gear (forgetting about the Fuji) and not buying any glass between 17mm and 135mm. But then again, I have a hard time imagining buying any camera and not buying glass between 17 and 135mm.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Wanting to" or "enjoying" is by no means the same as "needing to" or even "a good reason to".<br />That being said, I will stipulate that this surely is the future direction we all will take, sooner or later.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>By that logic there is no need for DSLRs either. And, I admit, I don't need to use a camera of any sort. But I certainly enjoy playing with them and doin' the art fart thang!</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Not really sure were this whole discussion is going. But, if I sold all of my equipment and were starting all over from scratch. I would most likely switch from Canon to Nikon. Currently, Nikon has some feature Canon still doesn't have like being able to use both Full frame and crop sensor lenses on the same FF body and being able to record HD video in RAW mode, higher megapixels and a cheaper cost. Oh, and a much better wireless multi-flash system.<br>

In any case just a little food for thought. By, the way I am a die hard Canon guy only because that is what I currently own. However, I believe Nikon has caught up and surpassed Canon.</p>

• 3 weeks later...