Hasselblad 501cm-Cable release hookup

danielheller

<p>Greetings all<br>

It appears that neither the L connector or any cable release I have tried so far can be properly screwed into my 501CM body release socket. It simply won't screw in or stay in place.<br>

However, the L connector and any other release cable can be perfectly screwed into my 500CM release socket.<br>

After examining the two sockets, it appears that the 501CM socket is not as deep as the 500CM, thus perhaps not allowing fully screwing in a cable release.<br>

Anyone had this problem on the 501CM?<br>

What is the likely explanation?<br>

Remedy?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Thank you Q.G.<br>

With the naked eye I see nothing left inside the socket. Is the socket on the 501 as deep as the 500?<br>

I see that the construction of the inside of the 501 socket is tapering in (conical shape) while the 500 (serial UI) is straight (cylinder shape). If the 501 is supposed to be as deep as the 500 the only thing I can think of, is that the very end of the tip of the cable release broke and remained attached to the inner wall of the socket. This would have happened when the cable release was turned counterclockwise before being pulled out.<br>

How difficult is it to open this up to check and or repair?</p>

The release button on the 500 C/M and 501 CM are different, but don't differ in the important bits. Both have the same internal thread, that takes/fits all standard cable releases. The thread part in both tapers.<br>The difference in depth - which i initially put down to something being stuck in the socket - could be due to a difference between the two models; (from memory) the 501 CM having a plunger/buffer type thing inside the release socket which the cable release pushes against, while the 500 C/M offers an open path for the clable release end to push a lever inside the camera directly.<br><br>But basically, a release that fits a 500 C/M should fit a 501 CM. So if it does not, and the cable release itself works fine with other cameras, the first guess would be that there's something wrong with the 501 CM's socket. What that would be is hard to tell without seeing the thing itself.