Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 OR Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM??

kashyap

Hi Ppl,

Need a li'l help with lens choise. I'm in Germany and a local shop is

offering me this:

* Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 for 170 �

* Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM for 310 �

I didnt know that Canon made this lens(28-105 f/3.5-4.5) with AND

without USM.

Anyway. 170 � is pretty tempting so I was wondering if someone can

tell me the difference between these 2 lenses (apart from USM :))

Also please tell me how big a difference the USM can make??

thanks !

That seems to be a very big price difference between the two, but then I don't know the non USM version.

USM (Ultrasonic motor) is a quieter and faster version of canon autofocusing lenses. This USM lens will also allow manual focusing even when the lens is switched to AF. I find this particularly useful as in my experience night time + auto focus doesn't work!

USM lenses are generally of a better build quality though again as I don't know the non USM version I can't tell you how they compare. Check them out in the store, does on feel plasticy? If so do you want that on your camera?

Also check the top of the lens barrel. The USM versions have a Gold line. I would agree that if the Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 for 170 � is right it will still be a USM but it may be the older version. From a shop I would be careful as to the quality of the glass etc. for that price difference.

For details on EOS lenses checkout www.eos-magazine.com/system.html

Get the 28-105 USMII 3.5/4.5. It focuses fast, has a very solid build and the images are sharp. It is a very good lens for the money. I just purchased one and you can see the difference in the negatives even before using the loupe to examine them. It really is a nice lens. I would never part with mine.It always stays mounted on a camera.

I don't know how your price compares with US currency. Before you buy locally, you might want to give www.bhphotovideo.com a look. Last time I looked, they still had two used 28-105 USM lens in stock for $159 USD in #10 (like new) condition.

I bought one myself. It came in the mail a couple days ago, but I've not yet taken it out for a spin. I'm expecting it to be a good lens.

Thanks Mallisa!

Euro and USD are almost the same.

I checked the BHP & Adorama, also of course, and the pkg I'm planning to buy seems to be almost the same price! If u consider 50$ a small amount that is. Apart from that I also dont have an idea abt the import duties, and it remains a mystery to me. So finally considering that I can check the equipement (body, lens, filter, bag etc etc) with my own hands bfr I buy them, I am ready to pay a few bucks more.

• 1 month later...