Difference between Mamiya RZ67 Pro and Pro II backs

michaelmiller

<p>The ProII backs use a light trap method or inter meshing, channel & blade design for a seal.<br /> The original Pro backs used foam seals. <br /> The inserts are not interchangeable across series models; Pro inserts must be used with a Pro housing,<br /> and ProII inserts must be used in a ProII housing.<br /> As always though, any 6X7 housing can hold 120 or 220 inserts, as long as the insert is series compatible;<br /> Pro to Pro, or ProII to ProII.</p>

<p>The Pro backs are actually better built than the Pro II backs. Cheaper plastic door and other parts on the Pro II are metal on the Pro backs. Though they have light seals, they dont' seem to fail the way most foam seals might, I have Pro backs from quite a long time back and work fine on the orignal seals, no leakage or crumbling.</p>

<p>-Ed</p>

<p>I'll go along with Ed's comments. Recently I ordered 2 Pro II backs from Adorama. They sent one Pro II, and one Pro by mistake. I called and they were willing to swap it out, but I gave it a try and immediately liked the feel of it over the Pro II. It had a different sound and was a bit more solid feeling. I don't miss the second counter, either. Not that the Pro II's have been disappointing, but I was happy enough with the Pro that I'll continue to search out the Pro backs for the build and the savings. Haven't had any light seal issues with any backs. </p>

<p>I decided to go for a Pro II back. I can live with a little more plastic but not with those decaying, leaking foam light seals. The design is just not right. Only by opening and closing the door of a Pro I back, some of the seals on the film insert are easily damaged. Removing and replacing all the different pieces of foam is not my hobby. Also I really like the second counter on the Pro II back, because I mostly shoot in portrait mode. You can still read the film count from the top. A nice detail if you ask me.</p>