Looking for a Lightweight, Field Tripod

fennel_blythe

<p>I am new to photography and recently bought a Canon Rebel Xsi with the kit lens, 18-55mm lens. I am doing a lot of hiking in New Mexico and taking lots of landscape photos. I would like to find a decent tripod to take into the field with me for this purpose. I am 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs., so I don't want anything too heavy and cumbersome. I would also like to spend less than $150. I would love some suggestions! Thank you!</p>

<p>Go to the B&H website and put in your desired parameters. Looks like they have several that meet your price requirements. But don't expect them to be too sturdy. You will have to be very careful with your technique (cable release, mirror lock-up, timed delay) to get them to hold your camera still. </p>

<p>Fennel, have a look at this one. Small (fits in a small take on type luggage) and of course not as stable as large tripods, but usually stable enough, and light (just under 2 pounds weight). </p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/equipment/velbon/343e/</p>

<p>Thay run between about $100 and $140 depending upon the type of head. I have the Velbon ball head PH243 and the while thing was purchased for less than $100 from Henry's in Toronto 4 years ago. Adorama (see above reference) has them with a pan and tilt head.</p>

<p>The Velbon is okay for a light camera outfit, like the one you have, especially if thinnest leg sections and centre column are not extended. It can be improved a bit by adding a better ball head. For a bit more support I have a small Gitzo aluminium tripod (061 if I remember correctly) that is also a bit flimsy but clearly sturdier than the Velbon, and again improves by leaving the thinnest legs in and centre column down. But that would stretch your budget. If you want a tripod that extends to your standing height, I'm afarid you must get a much bigger and heavier set of legs.</p>

<p>Ikka is absolutely right about the thinnest legs and not extending the centre column unless really necassary.</p>

<p>Another trick is to make or purchase a sort of net bag which you can attach to the bottom of the Velbon centre column (if you cannot drill a hole into the column to make an attachment pin or bolt, you can still attach the net (or a simple net hook) to the column using gaffer tape or other adhesive tape). In this bag can be placed temporarily a filled water bottle (a hiker's companion) or some nearby 1 or 2 pound rock. The temporary downward pull they will exert can improve the stability of the tripod and camera system, provided that the latter is not too heavy (relatively light, like yours). You just have to be carefull that the tripod is placed well with legs spread and the top plate level. Sounds complicated, but is really simple to do. </p>

<p>The smaller Benro carbon fiber tripods with a ball head weigh in at about 3 or 3 1/2 pounds, which isn't too bad, are sturdier than the Velbon, but as Ian says they will cost $300 or more, which is outside the budget you mentioned. The Velbon or its equivalent will at least provide useful camera support where there might otherwise be none. It is all relative, as even the smaller Benros are not sufficient for some uses.</p>

<p>Not a tripod, but offers other advantages is the Trek-Tech TrekPods - I have one and it's great, surprisingly stable and easier to carry about compared to most tripods. Obviously it isn't as stable as any of the above tripods and I wouldn't recommend walking away from a camera mounted on it in the wind in case it blows over! <br>

Just a different POV to consider.<br>

Craig.</p>

<p> Well for the budget you have you can certainly buy a good tripod. You cannot have a light, strong and cheap without one of those once in a lifetime deals. However a Manfrotto (Bogen) 3001pro tripod legs are great. They are discontinued now. You can buy a set of those on ebay for about $60.00. I have a set and they weigh 3.5lbs without head. They are strong enough for any camera or lens you will own and they are not designed for a tall person. You can also buy a 486RC2 Bogen ballhead on ebay for another $60.00 and it will support your camera fine. It will weigh 3/4lb. The total rig would be 4 1/4lbs. You will not need another tripod or ballhead for many years. My 486RC2 ballhead was stolen by a Pastor so I bought a 488RC2 midi ballhead and it is very strong and heavy. However I became tired of carrying it around and then bought the 496RC2 ballhead which replaced the 486RC2 ballhead. It has the same strength as the 486RC2 but they added a friction knob and a slightly improved quick release lever. This ballhead would be $80.00 from BHPhoto and probably the same on ebay. I recommend it because of the improved quick release clamp. The 3001 legs will spread out nearly flat and the center column will go in sideways or upside down for bugs, flowers or just any odd shot that needs some creativity in the set up. You can find real cheap tripods at Best Buy for $40.00 or so. They might be fine if you think they are. They will not be that strong and they may not be that safe for your camera. Even with the best tripod never leave your camera unattended because the wind can blow it over or a person can walk into it. Your dog can bowl it over. I always remove the camera via quick release if I am going to move away for some reason. I also keep the strap around me in some way to protect it. The habit has saved me a few times in various situations. One time a little kid just pulled the camera from my hand as he was walking past. Because I had the strap wrapped around my wrist twice I retained the camera.</p>