Double bubble level

jlevin

<p>Double bubble levels do not come with instructions, and when I recently purchased one I wondered which way it slides into the hot shoe and how to use it. I have now found the following answer:<br /> http://jimdoty.com/learn/acc/double_bubble/double_bubble.html<br /> I'm just writing to make sure this is correct since this is the only explanation I have seen anywhere. Unfortunately, the explanation does not seem to show that the horizon is level side to side and front to back.<br>

<br /> Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The double bubble level is designed to help you level the camera with the horizon whether in the landscape or portrait orientations. It normally does not help you level anything front to back, but this is not something that you would normally do except perhaps in the case of panoramics. It can be done however, simply by removing the level from the hot shoe, rotating it 90 degrees about the vertical axis and reinserting it, at which point you will lose the side to side leveling capability. This would be feasible with a pan/tilt or geared head, but I suspect that it wouldn't work very well with a ball head.</p>

<p>I have one just like this. It has two shoe mounts. The shoe mount shown in the picture places the bubbles on top of each other and can be used to level side-to-side in both landscape and portrait modes.</p>

<p>The second shoe mount will put the levels horizontally with one of them toward the lens. Then, while in landscape mode, you can level side-to-side and front-to-back.</p>

<p>Front-to-back leveling can make your images more professional looking. Pointing your camera up or down creates perspective distortion (sloping door frames, etc). So, in general, unless you are trying for a special effect, or if you can't avoid it, you should keep your camera level in both directions.</p>

<p>Perspective distortion can also ruin a landscape shot. I have a shot of a beautiful waterfall in Georgia that I can't make look right because I was forced to shoot it from the wrong angle. </p>

As Matthew already said, the use as described in the link you posted is wrong. The idea of a double level is that you can level in two planes at the same time. So for horizontal (landscape) shots, you put it in the hotshoe pointing forwards (using the shoe on the long side of the level). That way the rear level can help you get your horizon straight, and the front level helps you preventing up/down tilt (which would make vertical lines in your picture converge).

For vertical (portrait) shots, you'd use the shoe on the short side of the level in the hotshoe, with the other shoe pointing downwards (to the ground). This way, the level furthest from the camera helps prevent horizon tilt, and the one closest to the camera prevents up/down tilt.

The only advantage of a triple level is that you don't have to change its orientation when switching between horizontal and vertical.

<p>Since I wrote the short article linked in Jay's post above, I thought I would make a few comments.</p>

<p>The way I use a double bubble level happens to be the same way a number of world class photographers use a double bubble level. The world class bird photographer, Arthur Morris, is just one example. His photo of a double bubble on a camera in the vertical orientation is exactly the same orientation I use (left hand column about 3/4 of the way down this page):</p>

<p>http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#BUBBLE</p>

<p>Notice that Art calls the upper level the "vertical" bubble, not the "front to back" bubble.</p>

<p>It's not just Arthur Morris. I was in Alaska with several professional photographers and they were all using double bubble levels the same way I use one.</p>

<p>There is a reason for using this orientation. You can go from horizontal to vertical without moving the level. Just flip the camera from horizontal to vertical and you are good to go. It makes things quick and simple. It is also very easy to see the bubble in this orientation, especially when your camera is high off the ground and light levels are low. If you put your level flat to the top of the camera, instead of sticking up, you are now faced with the challenge of reading through the foot of the level. At least with my eyes, that is a challenge in low light levels. Some evening after sunset, put your camera as high off the ground as possible and still be able to use ir. Then try using the level both ways and see what you think.</p>

<p>The need to level a camera to the horizon is usually important. Leveling a camera front to back is usually not very important. The usual exceptions are when shooting panoramas and doing architectural photography. In those situations, you can use the foot on the side of the level so you can level your camera in both axes.</p>

<p>Everyone is free to use a double bubble however they prefer. Do whatever works best for you!</p>

<p>Some double bubble links:</p>

<p>http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-use-double-axis-bubble-level-with-your-camera-416422/</p>

<p>http://hankinslawrenceimages.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/use-a-bubble-level-to-take-better-photos/</p>

<p>Jim<br /> JimDoty.com</p>

<p> </p>