Shooting polaroid 55 : beginning to end help

nicholas_schrunk1

<p>Thanks for entertaining this beginning question for an advanced subject.<br>

My experience is all with shooting medium format digital, 35 film and DSLR. Reciently I got a client who has the budget to shoot some great portrait ideas but wants to use Polaroid 55 film. I've loved the look for years but never had a reason to explore the beautiful and fascinating look, I know that currently the film isn't being made and that very expensive stocks are available in limited quantities, but since the client has the budget and the vision can you guys help me out?</p>

<p>1) What do I need to complete the package. I know I need a large format 4x5 camera with the 545i back but can someone confirm this and perhaps offer what the best camera would be (or preferably something that could be rented in Los Angeles)<br>

2) How comparable would conversions be (stop vs shutter vs ASA) to 35<br>

3) Any issues with most the the film being expired for sale (expired in late 2008 ok for instance)</p>

<p>I'm just looking for feedback how I could get this system running both because of this job but also since I think it's such a great opportunity to get to shoot this legendary film while you can still find it. Any help would be so much appreciated!</p>

<p>I managed to pick up a box of Pola 57 iso 3000 which was outdated from 2007 from the guys at the Impossible Project. I have a Toyo 4x5 with a pola back and I shoot it at the rated iso. I am enjoying the results that I am getting from this film, although Polaroid is a film that I have used often...in the colour range. I don't know if as an option you may want to have a look at any of the Fuji instant film that may be availabe if the Pola is hard to get or too costly, in the 4x5 format and that may be easier to get then the Pola.</p>

<p>Well you know elsewhere on here I think I read many people saying Polaroid does not really keep past its date. For that reason I've never opened nor tried (it would be my first time) to use any of the 2 boxes of Type 55 I have. Its dated July 2007. Does this mean it may still give results?</p>

<p>Nicholas. When I got my film and Polaroid back I know I DL some user guides. That was a few PC/Hard drives ago and I don't think they even DL with good names to look for (like 908549833.pdf!) but if see them I'll UL somewhere for you.</p>

<p>I second the response to Ansel Adams' book. It has everything you need to know about it.<br>

I have some Type 54 black and white that expired about 5 or 6 years ago (don't have it handy). I shoot a couple once in a while but I never get complete coverage of the chemicals through to the end. It's disappointing to have the shot right but not come out completely through the frame.</p>

<p>I use to work at a place that shot 55 all the time, so I shot of them back in the 70's. Problem with it was if you set the exposure right for the positive print the negative was under exposed. There QC at that time was also bad, dirt inside and one time an extra corner of paper.</p>