Elizabeth Taylor photo on Drudge

bob_bill

<p>Any thoughts on the lighting? My guess is background light from left gridded soft edge to throw wedge shaped light on bg. Main from catchlights and shadow transitions appears to be another gridded light high front. She has turned slightly to her left and leaned forward to put highlight on chest and shadow below also creating texture in the fabric. Again from eye catchlight, looks like larger fill light low, perhaps a paramount, clamshell setup but with a restricted key? Perhaps small softbox with grid?</p>

<p>On the lighting, I'll agree with the background light, but I think the main is a large softbox (or octabank) slightly (very slightly) camera left and about 3-4ft above, pointing down. There is another accent light camera right, way behind her, possibly snooted, pointing at her face (see the accents on her jaw near the earing). Lower stomach shadows COULD have been filled with a simple reflector.</p>

<p>Noah, this shot stopped me in my tracks. Took a look at Halsman's work again, and it doesnt seem to be one of his more famous shots which is probably why I hadnt seen it, but I think its his best. But that's just my taste. I will definitely be using the techniques I learned from it. Just noticed how he kept her trademark diamond (earring) wasnt she a collector of huge diamonds?, a highlight, contained in the area of the darker hair behind it. Its just strikes me as one of the most powerful portraits I have seen.</p>