External Viewfinders on M and L mount Leicas

michael_l6

<p>Accuracy isn't a strong point of external viewfinder anyways. The Imarect is probably the most accurate finder. but it isn't highly user-friendly.<br>

More important is that more than a few of the finders from the M family are too wide to use on a screwmount camera, they will keep you from changing shutter speeds.</p>

<p>Thanks. I recently bought a used Leitz 5cm Brightline finder which proved to be noticeably inaccurate when I tried it with my IIIf. Generally, I'm missing the bottom of the picture even for distant landscape scenes, which implies that the finder is pointing lower than the lens.<br /> Also the finder's feet (foot?) soon became loose, though I don't think that is the main problem as it allows only a slight change in the direction of view. I haven't tried to tighten it yet, because I want to make sure I have the correct screw driver. This was an expensive item. <br /> I suspect that the finder may have suffered damage and is oriented incorrectly.</p>

<p>External viewfinders are really no worse than the internal viewfinders. Both are inaccrutae at certian distances with some lenses.</p>

<p>Over the years I've learned what to expect from my 21mm lens & VF combo. When I'm in close I allways allow extra room at the top for paralax error.</p>

<p>What is an "L" mount?<br>

My Imarect and Universal finders show exactly 100% of the field of view. That's why Cartier-Bresson used them to make his uncropable images. But they are a PITA to use with eyeglasses.<br>

The Brightline finders are not more accurate than the in-camera finders, but they can be used with glasses. </p>

<p>L mount is L39 screwmount, i.e. 39mm x 26TPI.</p>

<p>My Russian 35mm viewfinder agrees exactly with the 35mm framelines on the M2 at normal distances. I also had one of those Russian turret viewfinders and that was in very good agreement with the M3 on its 50mm setting.</p>

<p>Screwmount viewfinders are calibrated for 3 metres, I think. Below that you lose a little on the film, and also have to swing the camera up a bit after framing, and at infinity you tend to get a little more on film than you expected. In practice you have to compensate a bit at 1 metre but don't need to bother at infinity.</p>

<p>'L' is a common abbreviation for LTM (Leica thread mount) in Japan. <br>

Bill - As I understand it Imarect finder has code VIOOH. What is the code for the 'Universal' finder you mentioned? Is it different from a VIDOM? Also is there a parallax adjustment as for the VIOOH? Which of your two finders do you prefer?<br>

I'm thinking of looking for another finder this weekend.</p>

<p>I managed to return the 50mm SBOOI finder for a refund and replace it with a VIOOH Imarect finder. I'm getting better results with the Imarect and don't mind the manual parallax adjustment.<br>

I may try the SBOOI again sometime in the future - seems the one I had was out of alignment.</p>