3 primes for weddings

<p> <strong>Combo 85mm + 5D</strong> : when i shoot portrait i focus with the up corner AF sensor and the problem is that this sensor is not so reliable as the center one .<br>

<strong>Combo 35mm + 5D</strong> : I will have to crop a lot for the 50mm view and i don't know if 12MP are enough . <br>

Any advices ; </p>

<p>Are enough for what Athanasios? The widely used Nikon D700 is 12 meg. Also, you aren't forced to crop to exactly 50mm FOV. 40 & 45mm FOVs are also really nice. All I can say is that the Canon 35/1.4 is an L lens and is optically better than the non-L 50/1.4, is built a lot better, and AF faster. Of course, it costs more also.</p>

<p>Michael, I was referencing the Canon 20mm for the OP ... However, I did used the Nikon 20/2.8 back in my film days and it seemed fine ... Nikon does make a 24/2.8 that gets pretty good reviews on the B&H site ... but so does the 20/2.8 ... both get higher user ratings than the Sigma 20/1.8, mostly due to sample variation and QC I think.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use Nikon D700's .. crop heavily, and have made beautiful poster size prints of cropped images. Also I know this is mostly a canon thread (or appears to be) but I just thought I'd add that I shoot available light weddings and use almost exclusively these 3 primes</p>

<p>Nikon 50mm 1.4G, Nikon 24mm 1.4G, Nikon 85mm 1.4G.</p>

<p>Athanasios, the thing to be aware of the 1.8 vs the 1.4 on the canon 50mm is the build quality. Yes I loved my 1.8, but even though it does allow for autofocus, it is QUITE noisy, and if you choose to manually focus it, the ring is on the very edge and that isn't very easy to use. The 1.4 on the other hand is nice and quiet and has a focus ring that is much closer in feel to the 24-70. So when I'm going to an event like a concert where I'm thinking the crowd may be a bit more raucous I use the 1.8, when i'm doing a wedding, I do the 1.4 most of the time, although I bring the 1.8 as backup. One thing you might want to check out is an extension tube. Basically turns EVERY lens you have into a macro lens. I really love it! It's nice and light in your bag too!</p>

• 3 months later...

<blockquote>

<p>I choose to use two cameras and three of four lenses which I also carry - typically one zoom and two (or three) Primes.<br /> <br /> But one of the great leverages of a digital system is the dual format; so I would rarely if ever have two digital cameras of the same format.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>24/1.4 and 85/1.4 seems like an excellent combo for dual format cameras, giving effectively 24mm, 35mm, 85mm, 135mm.</p>

<p>However, I thought full frame cameras were chosen for the shallow DoF. The exotic 24/1.4 becomes a boring 35/2.2 on crop camera and the equally expensive 85/1.4 turns into 135/2.2 <strong>(in terms of FoV and DoF)</strong>. Not to mention the added noise.</p>

<p>If anyone uses that lens set with dual format cameras, I'd love to hear their opinion.</p>

<p>Full Frame Cameras are chosen for many reasons one of which might be the advantages of the relatively smaller DoF, compared the APS-C Format, but it would be silly to assume that this would be THE universal reason, though, especially when one decides to use a FF Camera as part of a Dual Format Kit.</p>

<p>Regarding an opinion about the combination of 24/1.4 and 85/1.4, and a Dual Format kit:<br>

As previously mentioned, I use Canon DSLR's and I have a 24/1.4 and 85/1.8. Assuming the question has a Typo and Hocus means the EF85/1.2MkII, then yes those dual lenses with dual formats makes sense, but would not be what I would choose preferring most of the time to have at hand a 50mm lens and liking that lens to be used primarily on the “Full Frame” Format Camera.<br>

I use the EF85F/1.8 because at the time of my purchase there was that, or the EF85F/1.2 and the later was big and slow to AF and IMO not value for money and so not worth the bigger investment as a tool of trade; subsequently the EF85F/1.2MkII was released and I now see no business advantage in buying it, as now I have the EF85/1.8 and that lens provides what the business requires.<br>

So: my 24 and 85 work well in my dual format kit: but I can't recall a time when only those two lenses have been used as a pair and I have not taken and used another lens on the job. </p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>With resepct to Weddings and Portraits, in the DSLR’s I have two zoom: 16 to 35F/2.8LMkII USM and 70 to 200F/2.8L USM and these Primes: 24/1.4L; 35/2; 35/1.4L; 50/1.4; 85/1.8 135/2L and x1.4MkII and x2.0MkII. I have access to the 300/2.8L (and also 400/2.8L) and have used the 300 a couple of times, (in a Cathedral). I rarely used the 70 to 200F/2.8L USM, ever, at a Wedding.<br>

When I moved out from my Wedding Studio (End 2009 F/Y), we were using 30D’s and 5D’s, the studio now uses 5DMkII (purchased end 2009) and 50D’s which will be shortly (in a couple of days) be sold and replaced with 7D’s, as the new F/Y began, yesterday. <br>

The Studio's Lens' cache mimics my personal kit, except they do not have the 35/2, and their 70 to 200F2.8 is the original IS version and they do not have the x2.0MkII tele extender. Also between four kits there is only one 70 to 200 and two 85/1.8 and two 35/1.4, and I believe now three 135/2L.</p>

<p>Personally, I use a 20D, 30D, 5D, S5 IS and a 400D and I have access to a 5DMkII if I need it: I do not shoot Weddings, ATM.</p>

<p>My opinion was, when I was engaged to cut over my old W&P Studio to digital, that a Dual Format Kit was the best solution in respect of Operational Logistics and also the best Capital Spend. At the time Canon presented the best 135 digital format and although that meant the purchase of a full range of new lenses – the long term investment (in lenses) depreciated over 10 years showed good sense – and still does.<br>

Hence the Studio and me personally are “Canon” Photographers (at least for Digital) – and in that regard there is little sense in changing teams, mid swim.</p>

<p>It is my opinion as at today, that within Canon DSLR system, in mostly all circumstances, the most potent, value for money, best business decision, W&P Kit would be based upon a 5DkII and 7D with a 5DMkII (or 5D) as the first back-up camera. </p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>William,</p>

<p>Thanks for summing up your inventory. When you went to weddings, what did you actually carry around your neck and waist? I cannot believe you hauled all those lenses and extenders. And even if you did leave them in a van, what did you actually carry / use most often?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I didn't say nor did I mean to imply I carried all that gear around my neck. <br />I listed the cameras and lenses which are part of my “Wedding” kit bag – (and I did not list all my Lenses and other gear, anyway - as you are aware - I have the 100F/2.8M for example).</p>

<p>“Around my Neck”, changes throughout the Wedding day, but an outline is:<br />1. Mostly always, two DSLR's.<br />2. One Camera most usually with a 16 to 35, the other with a Prime.<br />3. A third lens in my coat pocket for some parts of the Wedding.<br />4. On occasions, or for a short period of time during the Weddings a forth lens in the other coat pocket.</p>

<p>Most used lenses:<br />16 to 35 main zoom lens.<br />24, 50 and 85 Primes.<br />The 85, because I really like an 85 of the 135 Format Camera (Full Frame), rather than using a 50 on an APS-C Camera. (the DoF leverage).</p>

<p>Most likely rig to be seen carrying, at any time throughout the Wedding:<br />Two DSLR's; 16 to 35; 24 and 50; or 24 and 85.</p>

<p>I would have used a 35 MORE often (on 135 format) if I had not had the 24 – but I am glad I went with a 24, as I really like that lens.</p>

<p>I based these DSLR lens selections, on my 135 Format, film Wedding gear, which was <strong><em>based</em></strong> around one fast standard zoom and three fast, Prime Focal Lengths: 35, 50 and 85. (and other lenses also).<br />This 135 Gormat gear, was used in conjunction with 645 Format also <strong><em>based</em></strong> around three Focal Lengths/Four Lenses: 55, 80,(and 80LS), and 150</p>

<p>The advent of digital and waiting until relatively late to cut over to digital, allowed for the better exploitation of a dual format kit, vastly superior (measuring many aspects) to the Film Kit we (and I personally) had in our Film gear.<br />As DSLR bodies have progressed that superiority, has also encompassed Image “Quality” and thus given more leverages.<br />I do not mean that film does not have a place: I am just saying that a digital system has many advantage and across a multiplicity of levels over Film.<br />We waited until those advantages had reached a critical mass (in my opinion), to cut from Film to Digital – and this was latter than many other Wedding Studios.</p>

<p>In summary: The DSLR kit “around my neck”: is basically two cameras, one zoom lens and two Prime lenses.<br />This DSLR kit is based upon and does the job of the <strong><em>basic kit</em></strong> of five cameras (three 135 cameras and two 645 cameras) and the eight basic lenses (mentioned above), we used with film. <br />I have commented in detail about Dual Format DSLR (Canon) kits. A simple search of my posting history should reveal same - identifiable by key words such as "dual" or "Two Formats" etc</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>