EN-EL3 mAh1500 vs mAh1800 batteries

debbie_major

<p>I am in the process of purchasing additional batteries for my newly acquired D700. I saw the article on counterfeit batteries - thank you to the poster who spent their time detailing the facts. But I have noticed that some batteries state mAh1500, mAh1800 and mAh2000 on the EN-EL3 batteries. I do not want to use a battery that could be overpowering and cause damage. Is there anything to worry about with regards to the mAh numbers? Thank you ahead for all help.</p>

<p>mAh = milliamp hours. technically this is supposed to be how long the battery will last, not how much power will go to the camera at once.</p>

<p>But I agree with Alan, get genuine EN-EL3e batteries for the D700. They're around $35. The Lenmar EN-EL3e is only a few dollars less...and I've never heard any issues witht he LENMARs, but for the difference in price, it's just better to go with the genuine article.</p>

<p>Buy a genuine Nikon EN-EL3e. As Alan and Richard point out, at least in the US they are not that expensive. And genuine EN-EL3e are always 1500 mAh.</p>

<p>My wife has had problems with Lenmar battery clones; that was for her Sony camcorder. It worked fine for the camcorder she had, but later on when she got a newer camcorder that uses the same type of batteries, the Lenmar clone was not compatible with the newer camcorder, which could detect that it is not a genuine Sony battery and would immediately shut down.</p>

<p>I have used 4 Nikon DSLR bodies all of which used the EN-EL3 batttery. I have used vertical battery grips on the D200, 300 and 700 so I have had plenty of batteries in that time as I always carry 2.5 full sets.</p>

<p>I have tried the cheaper 1800 mAh batteries as 50% of my battery line up. The other 50% have been genuine Nikon batteries. 3 of the cheaper batteries have either completely died or failed to charge past 45% - never a single issue with any genuine Nikon batttery thus far..........</p>

<p>The Nikon EN--EL3 batteries are indeed too well priced now too think twice about.</p>

<p>Thank you to all the responses. A camera store was selling the mAh 1800s as genuine batteries so I researched the counterfeit article that was posted on this forum. Then I was really confused. I'll stick with what came with the camera, the mAh1500s. Cheers</p>

<p>I've only ever used Nikon EN/EL3x batteries. Never had one fail, although I only have about a half dozen -- going back to 2002. Last I checked, the 2002 batteries still worked, something I would not expect -- nor rely on.</p>

<p>As already mentioned, mAh relates to capacity. It's voltage that can potentially over-power a device (pun intended).</p>

<p>Since the Nikon batteries are quite good, that later iterations have some smarts built into them, and that one doesn't save much with third-party products, I see no reason not to use the Nikon products. Counterfeits are another issue.</p>

<p>Do not know Nikon type LENMAR batteries, but AA batteries from LENMAR are so poor quality, that you should not depent on them for weddings or other important events.</p>

<p>Testing AA batteries brings different values than printed on the batteries.<br>

They fall far behing the rated capability to charge them.<br>

Tested 8 of them and NONE of them had the rated capacity,: 1772, 1749, 1741, 1729, 1407, 1405, 937, 191.</p>

<p><a href="../filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00TdbR">http://www.photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00TdbR</a></p>

<p>They fail badly in Nikon flashes, and in a Radar detector, and similar devices.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Debbie, the mAh (milliampere-hour) rating of batteries tells you how much charge the battery will hold, i.e. how long it will power the camera for. There's no chance of a higher capacity battery "overpowering" the camera. In any case most mAH ratings can be taken with a pinch of salt, since the measured capacity of a battery depends on how it's used - intermittently, continuously, with flash, review time, etc.</p>

<p>As someone just posted, Nikon UK like to extract the michael with prices here. I have 3 additional "no brand" En-El3e batteries bought from an internet supplier. They are rated at 1800mAh and work just fine. However, I can see no difference in charge time or usable time between them and the original camera battery - except that all three cost less than what just one Nikon branded battery would have cost. Li-Ion cells are just Li-Ion cells, and since most hi-tech stuff these days is made in China, I see no point in paying a handsome surcharge to have Nikon stick a "holographic" label on two bog-standard 3.6 volt cells wrapped in a bit of plastic.</p>

<p>IMHO the biggest rip-offs perpetrated today are the price of batteries (of all sorts) and printer ink!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Joe,<br>

Not all batteries are the same. Some also contain electronic circuitry that prevent overheating, for example, that can damage your camera. Saying that, I would only especially worry about counterfeit Nikon batteries, and not so much batteries from known good manufacturers.</p>

<p>Concerning "no name" generic batteries, you might want to read Stan Chang's experience in this thread: <a href="00NAuB">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00NAuB</a></p>

<p>A genuine EN-EL3e is about $36 in the US. In some other countries, they charge a lot more. In that case you might want to get one from the US instead, but I would stick with genuine Nikon batteries.</p>

<p>It's in brand-name manufacturers' interests to propagate horror stories and misinformation about batteries etc., because keeping their customers ignorant and scared is good for revenue.</p>

<p>That linked post was probably due to a faulty charger and nothing to do with the battery (if it really did happen the way the poster says).</p>

<p>I'm well aware that batteries contain a monitoring chip and overheat fuse. I've taken a few apart! I've also seen no evidence that the internals of 3rd party batteries are any different from those of branded products. In fact the only battery that suddenly and fully died on me was a Nikon branded one, where one of the cells just refused to hold a charge. I swapped the cells with those from an obsolete "bargain bin" battery of another make and it's now working fine again. I had to heat weld the plastic case back together, so it doesn't look pretty, but it's better than a dead battery or paying through the nose for another unguaranteed and supposedly "superior" Nikon battery.</p>

<p>Also consider why it's worth a counterfeiter's time to replicate branded goods: The answer is that they can charge several times what the product is really worth if it carries a well-known name. So if "designer" products were priced more realistically, then there would be no incentive to forge them.</p><div>00YQgL-340991584.JPG.4ce93aabe373385c5ef84f4c085f8637.JPG</div>

<p>Why would I let Nikon make me ignorant, I use Nikon cameras and use their batteries, as I had a camera ruined by a 3rd party knockoff and Nikon will not help you out and i don't blame them,I suppose the knockoff company will fix or repalce your camera if thier battery destroys it !!</p>

<p>Anyone know <strong>WHY</strong> Nikon sells their own batteries at such a <strong>HUGE</strong> difference here in the UK? Having the genuine item available at a small premium is good to prevent take-up of perfectly suitable (usually!) clones, but making them about 3-4 times more over here is plain profitering. No, they don't <strong>make</strong> you buy a clone, but how do they justify the vast difference?</p>

<p>Mike, that is puzzeling. According to Michael Freeman, who lives in Canada, apparently EN-EL3e are a lot more expensive over there also, compared to in the US: <a href="00Tny7">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Tny7</a></p>

<p>Meanwhile, B&H has it for US$37: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/409071-REG/Nikon_25334_EN_EL3e_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion_Battery.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/409071-REG/Nikon_25334_EN_EL3e_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion_Battery.html</a></p>

<p>For those who are in Europe, Canada or Australia/NZ, I would imagine that you can find a way to buy from the US, especially if you need a few of them. If you just need one, it might not be worth the trouble.</p>

<p>Hi Shun, does that mean the <strong>ONLY</strong> cheap place to buy genuine Nikon batteries is the <strong>US</strong>? The rest of us Worldwide Nikon users could feel offended...;-) Considering they make them in Japan, that's not very helpful!<br>

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think the value of goods 'imported' before Import Tax is levied is £18, about $29. It is TAX evasion to label something as a 'Gift' when it's not. As a foreign purchaser, I become the importer and should pay the Import Tax. I understand it is not the difference I pay TAX on, but the whole amount. This is collected by the courier in addition to a HUGE fee, £15 or more.<br>

That's why we may be tempted by a clone from China, that is 99.9% reliable. @ 1/6 the price.</p>

<p>Mike, I have read enough stories about 3rd-party EN-EL3e clones and counterfeit EN-EL3e that I believe it is far far away from being 99.9% reliable. For example, some of those only work with the D200; apparently Nikon made some changes to the D300 so that those batteries won't work.</p>

<p>Personally, I think for those who can easily buy a genuine one for US$37, it is very unwise to buy those clones. If you must pay several times of US$37 to buy real ones, that is something you need to decide for yourself.</p>

<p>Ha, that explains the appalling battery management issues the D300 had (with Genuine ENEL3Es) that took <strong><em>how long </em></strong>to fix? ....including those with the genuine MB-D10s?? <br>

Are you saying those changes were made solely or partly to ensure Genuine Nikon battery usage? Guess you must be if older genuine ENEL3s were supposed to be transferable between D50, D70, D80, D90, D200 and D300/s.....<br>

Cheers Shun, hardly a easy decision at that price.....anyone any idea as to WHY the big price difference?</p>

<p>John, please confirm Genuine and Clone are the same (<strong>HIGH!!) </strong>price over there?? Crazy World! <br>

Clones are available (inc P&P) for around £7 (or 2 for £13.99) on-line. <br>

Here (UK) , Genuine (via recognised Nikon dealer) are about £55 - £67, guess that's about $100 too....</p>

<p>Mike, I just looked at two suppliers that I have used (vanbar and digitalcamerawarehouse).</p>

<p>There are other local mail order options. But we pay no import taxes/GST on orders under $1000AUS so most of us do a stock-up from the USA from time to time.</p>

<p>There was recently a public debate about reducing this generous limit, but so many people are now using overseas mail order that the government would lose too many votes to change it. And after the controversy, lots more people are giving it a try.</p>

<p>Some shops here are reasonable for camera and lens prices, but try to make up some extra profit on accessories. Maybe the importers are to blame.</p>