Quantum Pilot, Two Trios, and D7000 = Question

blanston

<p>Greetings from foggy Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England.</p>

<p>Just acquired a new D7000 body, and decided to try it out with my Quantum Pilot remote commander and two Quantum Trios. My Pilot continually failed to trigger the Trios, though it was communicating with them. I RTFMed, thought, experimented, and then called Quantum. The gentleman on the phone was very helpful and knowledgeable, and ran me through a number of checks, reset the equipment, and were then mutually stumped.</p>

<p>We decided that I should try the setup with the camera that last worked, my D700, and you can imagine the rest. The D700 worked like a charm with the Quantum system, as it always has done.</p>

<p>My question: Has anybody encountered specific D7000 settings that I could change that might make it work with my Pilot? I haven't tried the D7000 with a Trio actually attached, but plan to do so.</p>

<p>My Quantum helper will also be following this, so please dish.</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>Robert,<br>

Try D7000 with a Trio attached and see if it works. I use my pilot and trio with canons and do not know specifics of D7000, but i remember reading on quantum site recomendation to download latest version of firmware to be compatible with the Nikon cameras.<br>

Hope it helps.<br>

Boris</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Robert,</p>

<p>I use a Trio as a controller on a D2x and D3x and I had a similar thing happen to me with a new D7000. My problem was that remote flashes were not being fired when set to any TTL setting - only Manual would work. I told Quantum about this around 6/3/2011 and they were updating their firmware which they sent me a few days ago. This works OK now. I'd check their latest firmware on their site - although it still might only be a beta version..</p>

<p>I only found this thread after searching for users of the Pilot. How do you get on with using it? Theres been a few occasions recently I've thought a Pilot would be a useful piece of kit, most specifically for controlling a third (or extra group) compared to the Trio.</p>

<p>Up until the D7000 issue is it working as you expect?</p>

<p>Thanks Ian and Boris. I am going to give a firmware update a try, and if it doesn't work, be glad the Pilot works as well as it does with the D700, and wait until they catch up to the D7000.<br /> <br /> Boris, the Pilot works a treat the way I use it, which is to fire two Trios. It does that very well, but I need to start taking advantage of the QTTL capability, because I keep having to re-learn everything if I don't use the Quantum gear often enough. Quantum kit is far from intuitive, isn't it?<br /> <br /> I usually just have to re-set everything and start from scratch.<br /> <br /> The Trios don't work properly when mounted directly on the D7000, but the D7000 works perfectly with a SB900, naturally.<br /> <br /> One of the reasons I put up with "Quantum Quirks" (and the expense) is the quality of light I get with either the bare bulb or wide-angle (dome) diffuser. I also love the Quantum batteries, which I can use on my Metz flashes.</p>

<p>So, I will look for that firmware & update this thread as I learn. Thanks again.</p>