New D90 problems.

gary_nappi

<p>I received my D90 last night and I have 4+ hours behind the controls already.<br>

Everything is as expected but for two odd things happening.<br>

A few times while running the camera in low speed continuous shooting mode and the camera shutter slowed to 1 frame every one or two seconds (I have a 32GB SDHC and was using an 18-55) or the shutter stopped completely and the camera shifted itself into the picture view / preview mode and I had to press the PLAY button to get my shutter working.<br>

This never happened in the fast continuous mode.<br>

The other thing also concerns the shutter. I put my 70-300 on a tripod on the star filled sky, and the shutter would NOT release until I pointed the lens at the moon. I presume that the light allowed me to snap the shutter.<br>

I "think" I was shooting in "S" mode the former and "P" the latter instances. Does the camera have a flaw or am I missing something?</p>

<p> TIA,</p>

<p> Gary</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As Charles said for the second problem, if you were in AF-S or AF-A, the shutter will not fire until it finds focus. Switch to manual AF.</p>

<p>The first problem is strange and I really dont' have any suggestions but I think it has something to do with the buffer filling - not sure why it worked fine in high speed continuous mode though.</p>

<p>As Elliot said, it is your buffer filling up. Although you have a 32 gig card it in (and I am not sure the d90 is rated to use a 32 gig card) the buffer is quite small if shooting RAW or RAW + JPG HIGH.</p>

<p>All sky shots should be done on manual.</p>

<p>It may be the speed of the card, too.</p>

<p>What card is it? I have a 4G Extreme III that is great, I have an 8G card that I think is only class 4, and the camera can't keep up as well.</p>

<p>But with a D90, if you're shooting action and doing that kind of continuous shooting, you're stuck with jpeg, imho. If you NEED to shoot that stuff RAW, you're looking at a D300S</p>

<p>You can see the buffer capacity of the D90 here (bottom of the link):</p>

<p><a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/spec/">http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/spec/</a></p>

<p>The D90 can store 9 RAW files before the buffer is full, according to Nikon, and only 7 if you are shooting RAW + any size JPG.</p>

Problem No 1......

It happened to me whe i bought my D300. I was trying to take a shot of the moon with the old AF300 f/4D.

I din't know what it was and I came back to ask about it here at the Nikon forum.

I am sorry but no matter how much I looked for that thread I can not find it. All I can say right now is that another

member (Ellis Vener) told me to turn off the long exposure noise reduction feature on my camera. After that it never

happened again..... Most probably coz I never turned it on again.....

Just give it a try..... I am sure there is nothing wrong with your camera. Cheers!

<p>I don't have a D90 handy to check, but another setting to verify is AF priority. There are options to set it so that the shutter will only fire when your subject is in focus. That could be the reason that you have to point the camera at the moon instead of a dark sky for it to fire.</p>

<p>You really need to spend some time with the manual. If that doesn't work for you, there are various guide books.</p>

<p>"I don't have a D90 handy to check, but another setting to verify is AF priority."<br>

Shun, does the D90 even have AF priority? Isn't that like "trap focus". I haven't been able to find that feature on my D90. Would it be AF-S? With AF-S it won't fire unless it is in focus.</p>

<p>Hi guys,<br>

I'm new to Nikon, so I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that on the D90 AF-C is tied to release priority and AF-S is tied to focus priority - you can't set them independently as you can on the D300. <br>

At least I hope that's the case, since I have my D90 in front of me and I can't find an option to switch them ;)<br>

Mike</p>