Getting better flash results with 7n

paul_heagen

<p>I have a 7n with 580 Speedlite. I am having problems getting a good flash exposure in dark settings when the subject is not in the center of the frame. Some of the photos (singer in a nightclub) are the singer on stage, but I want to catch the crowd or the rest of the stage, so the singer is usually not in the center. <br>

I have the camera set on full program and focus and lock (press shutter halfway down) on the singer, then recompose the shot to where the singer is usually on the left or right third of the frame. <br>

Doing it this way, my singer is over-exposed, as if the camera is trying to read the whole room. <br>

What can I do to fix this? Is there a way to use a different camera setting that will allow a focal point on the right or left of center but still give me a good program flash mode?</p>

<p>Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>Some Canon cameras have the flash exposure follow the active AF point. That's usually a custom function or other setting. Another way is to use FEL (Flash Exposure Lock). With the center AF point on the subject press the FEL button (usually the * button), then focus and recompose. When you press FEL there will be a metering flash. It should work, but I've not tried it with a EOS 7n. </p>

<p>The way E-TTL 2 flash meter works is it exposes whats under the active AF point. When you lock-AF and recompose the active AF point is over a black void, not your singer, hence overexposure. There are a couple easy workarounds and a little harder one:</p>

<ol>

<li>Use the FEL button on your singer to hold the flash exposure.</li>

<li>Dial in appropriate FEC</li>

<li>Manually select an off-center AF to lock on on your subject.</li>

</ol>

<p>I rarely center my flash subjects so most of the time I simply dial down FEC because I can input FEC without removing eye from VF. I find this the fastest method. With practice you'll find the amount of FEC very predictable and should nail it most of the time. Using a side AF point on your subject works almost as well. All the AF points of the 7D are crosses so they are almost as good as the center point. The FEL feature works great but takes several seconds more and can be fiddly if you're locking AF as well.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I want to try your helpful suggestions, but I'm a little confused with the jargon and abbreviations. </p>

<p>Where -- or what -- is the FEL button. On the camera, or on the flash?<br>

What do you mean "dial in the appropriate FEC?"</p>

<p>This stuff is all in your manual and you should read, outline and practice before the quiz tomorrow:</p>

<ul>

<li>FEL = Flash Exposure Lock. It's the button next to the shutter marked "M-FN."</li>

<li>FEC = Flash Exposure Compensation. Press the button to the rear of the shutter marked with "ISO & Flash Icon" while turning the Quick Control Dial.</li>

</ul>

<p>Also, you need to stay out of the "Green Rectangle" mode as most user input is disabled. Use P mode, AV, Tv or M.</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>Roberto, I think the EOS 7n still features E-TTL II flash and supports FEL. What Puppy Face advised regarding *not* using focus and recompose with this camera is still applicable if so.<br>

Paul you could try reading http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ for some superb advice regarding flash on Canon cameras. This site includes information on how your camera (I assume EOS 7 is same as EOS 7n here(?)) handles flash exposure.<br>

The basic rule is don't focus and recompose when using flash. Or if you want to focus & recompose, use the FEL button to do a preflash, and the camera will remember the correct exposure it determined from the preflash for when you recompose and actually take the picture.</p>

Sorry, didn't see the "N". Yes, the Élan 7n uses E-TTL2 and the same techniques apply. However, the * button is

used for FEL on that model. I actually owned one back in the day.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If you got the Elan 7 or 7E it's 99% the same. The only spec that changed is external flash system is E-TTL 2 rather than E-TTL. Same buttons and functions otherwise.</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>Sorry, must be me in a fog, but I'm still not understanding what to do. <br>

I have the manual, but i cannot seem to connect the jargon with what I am trying to do. </p>

<p>I want to focus and set the flash metering on a subject in the foreground, but recompose the shot so the subject is off to the side, but still properly exposed and focused. <br>

I am very confused about custom function, the so-called * button, the FEL, etc. </p>

<p>Thanks for your patience and further help. </p>

<p>Well, basically, you do it in the order you said:</p>

<cite>I want to focus and set the flash metering on a subject in the foreground, but recompose the shot so the subject is off to the side</cite>

<p>To "set the flash metering on a subject", press the FEL button (*). You then have whatever time the manual says to recompose and take the shot (from the memory of having had an Elan 7E several years ago, I think it's something like 16 seconds) before the camera forgets the metering information you locked in by using FEL.</p>

<p>So the steps are:</p>

<ol>

<li>Focus

<li>FEL

<li>Recompose

<li>Shoot

</ol>

<p>Of course it can be tricky to maintain AF lock while using FEL and recomposing. That's why I find it quicker to estimate flash compensation and dial it in myself. But the nimble of finger can do it with a little practice.</p>

- Robert Hunter