How do you deal with this? (Lens + hood + cap)

<p>This seems like it should be a trivial problem to solve but I don't think Canon ever really designed a solution for it.</p>

<p>I've got my wonderful Canon 100/F2.0 I use on my Leica M and Canon LTM bodies and have always wondered how to deal (conveniently) with my wish to have the hood on the lens when I use it outdoors but wanting to keep the lens capped when I'm not taking a photo (the whole "burning shutter curtains" thing).</p>

<p>How do people work around this? Thanks.</p><div>00YKtb-337315584.jpg.1c9cfe910ab64c7826b5295a03f6db14.jpg</div>

<p>Carl, I dislike metal caps (as nice and solid as they are) as I am a bit all thumbs and want to avoid scratching the front element with the side of the hood or if the hood should come off in a case. I would always keep the lens hood attached to the lens, and perhaps also measure the hood's front outside diameter (mm) and try to find a rubber cap for the lens hood online at one of the big stores in NYC or elsewhere.</p>

<p>If you keep the lens focused at a close position when outside in sun and when not actually using it, the sun rays won't focus on the shutter and burn it.</p>

<p>Hi Carl, I recognize that lovely lens !</p>

<p>Well, the chances of you staying perfectly framed in on the Sun with a telephoto while you're carrying it are slim to none. Even flat on a table or the ground, and it's pointing at best at the very low sky.</p>

<p>The real danger is when you're using a wide-angle lens and you put the camera down in <strong>proximity</strong> view of the Sun.</p>

<p>Yes Gus, you DO recognize this lens and since you CLA'd it so well, I'm using it a lot more often.</p>

<p>I should've realized this on my own but thanks for the ideas -- a 67mm pinch cap fits right into the inside of the hood! Problem solved. Thanks everyone.</p><div>00YKzu-337391584.jpg.1ab556723e0f3d2659b4419499cf0c4e.jpg</div>

<p>Dennis, thanks for the tip on the Lens Coat ... I need one of those for a Canon FD 400mm/F4.5 I have. No where can I find a cap for it.</p>

<p>Gus ... thank you for the better explanation of the risks of uncapped lenses on rangefinders. I've lost lens caps on vacation (always the really expensive ones, of course!) and simply stopped down the lens as far as it would go when I was forced to carry it uncapped, but your explanation makes a lot of practical sense.</p>

<p>Pretty lens. Much preferred to the 105/3.5 primarily because of weight.</p>

<p>Anyways I'm not a big fan of pinch caps attached to the outer rim of hoods as they have a tendency of falling off while pulling gear out of my bag or just with a slight bump. I much prefer to have a pinch cap (or filter) attached to the lens. IIRC it's a clamp hood and 58mm thread on the lens, right?</p>

<p>Yes, it's a 58mm threaded filter diameter. The lens hood you see is the 60mm (T-60-2) hood which fastens on with a small thumb screw, as you suggest.</p>

<p>That pinch cap is on pretty tight. As you can see, it fits pretty flush with the edge of the hood so there's not a lot to get caught on bringing it out of the bag. I suspect it will stay on pretty well but time and usage will tell.</p>

<p>I've heard good things about the 100/F3.5 -- like it's a lot lighter and very sharp! -- but can't really justify spending extra dollars on the same focal length.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a name="00YL1l"></a><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4470462">Jean-Yves Mead</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Mar 05, 2011; 04:40 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Have you considered a <a rel="nofollow" href="http://optechusa.com/hood-hat.html" target="_blank">Hood Hat</a>?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Op-Tech makes some wonderful products. It's a shame that everything they make is so inexpensive and their minimum order is so high. We carried them at work for a while, until I got sick of ordering $150 worth of stuff I didn't need so I could get $150 worth of stuff I did need. That's obviously not an issue with big stores like B&H though.</p>

<p>If you're concerned about loosing the pinch cap, I'd buy a capkeeper for it. Or better yet, since Promaster caps already have a loop, buy a little bit of black Nylon cord, and make one yourself. Tie one end to the lens cap (I use a drop of super glue to make sure it stays tied), and use gaffer's tape or Gorilla tape to secure the other end to the hood. You'll need to use a solvent to get the residue off the hood if you ever want to sell it, but that should only take a few minutes.</p>