Lightroom exporting to SM

<p>I cant seem to figure out what is going on with exporting from lightroom (3.2) to smugmug. I just want to send a folder in its entirety to SM. So far I have gone to the SM button selected create gallery and then click publish. Im just confused because I read that "publish" creates a "connection" between LR and SM and it seems to take a really long time to publish. Is publish really just exporting or does it do something more. I dont need a "connection" I just want the quickest way to get my photos to SM so I can share and order prints. I spent a few hours now doing this and have found plenty of references but this basic question is still not clear to me. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.</p>

<p>Mindy,<br /> I upload hundreds of images to Smugmug from Lightroom. It is as fast as using MacDaddy which is my other favorite SM image uploader. I find it best to establish your Smugmug gallery hierarchy ahead of time outside of Lightroom, and then populate the individual galleries from Lightroom. Make sure you have the "sync hierarchy" checkbox enabled from the Lightroom Publishing Manager. Then select your images (make sure the individual images are selected, and not just the folder or collection) and simply drag them to desired Smugmug gallery in your Lightroom listings.</p>

<p>Hitting the Publish button pushes the images up to Smugmug. The connection exists already if you have Internet connectivity enabled. That's how your SM gallery hierarchy is laid out in Lightroom.</p>

<p>Thursday evenings are SM maintenance times, so access can be disabled for a few hours.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thanks so much. I am really wondering if there is a difference between just Uploading and Publishing. Or is "Publishing" just their way of uploading and really the same thing- just a different way of saying it? By using the publish feature am I creating extra that is taking more time? Because it seems to take alot of time and if there is a faster more straightforward way to do it I want to make sure I am do it correctly. <br>

Michael- How long does it take you to upload using those? For example the photos I "published" today using the publish plugin in LR took about 20 minutes for 70 pics. <br>

<p>Mindy,<br /> I wouldn't get hung up about the semantics: publishing is uploading is pushing images to Smugmug from within LR. 'Nuff said about that.</p>

<p>RE: turnaround time, it depends on a few variables including: how large are the jpgs you are uploading, how complex is the conversion that you are asking Lightroom to perform, your Internet connection, the SM server farm load for that time frame, and other stuff I'm too tired to conjure up. So, what are the file sizes of those 70 image files?<br /> It is easy to do a test. Create a couple of dummy test galleries on Smugmug, and then use both LR and one of SM's recommended uploaders to publish the same set of XX number of image files. See what's faster and also easier, and then decide what your gain would be. If you use a Mac, consider MacDaddy as it is quick and easy.</p>

<p>ME</p>

Publising creates a permanent connection between a LR collection and a SM gallery. Place a photo in that collection,

or edit one already there, and click the Publish button to bring SM up to date.

Export transfers photos to a gallery, but they could come from anywhere, and there is no LR representation of any

linkage. In fact, the phtos being exported don't even have to be in any collection.

Speed is probably identical.

Make sure you use Jeffrey Friedl's exporter.